Have To Make 30 6" Cakes For A Wedding

Decorating By LaBori Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 2:54am by annabanana183

LaBori Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 18

Should I make them all using pans; or should I make sheet cakes and use a 6" ring to cut them out? What would be more time efficient and less expensive?

17 replies
yums Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 18

I would do pans. I think it seems like less work and less waste. But, I guess it could depend on how many 6 in pans you have. One pan could take forever! Is every guest getting their own cake?

pmarks0 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 18

That's a lot of cakes to make in pans, and you have to have the exact same amount in each pan. I guess it also depends on what you're doing with them afterwards. It may be better to make sheet cakes, torte and fill them, crumb coat them and then freeze them then you can cut them frozen or semi frozen? If you have a good 6" ring to cut with, that may be best. Then you're not torting and filling 30 individual cakes?

sweet_honesty Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #4 of 18

If you torte and then cut them won't the filling ooze out? ( This is assuming that you aren't filling with buttercream...)

pmarks0 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #5 of 18

Yeah, you're right. Forgot that part... But I'm thinking I might still lean towards sheet cakes, cut the circles then fill. I still think that will be faster than 30 individual cakes, especially if there are only have a couple of pans. You'd still have batter sitting around waiting for a cool pan to bake in.

arsen102506 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 18

Try so search on GOOGLE for an answer and for some ideas.

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 18

I had to do a bunch of 4" cakes as wedding favors instead of a tiered cake, and I just cut them out of sheet cakes. MUCH faster to bake that way.

Lcubed82 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #8 of 18

I cut a bunch for a Scout troop. Granted, young ladies with no experiencce, but had a lot of problems with crumbs.

Toptier Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #9 of 18

You can also use bakeable paper pans. They're disposable and perfect for this. I think the panettone molds are 6" in diameter. Google Novacart.

Lcubed82 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 18

What a great idea, Toptier! I need to find those so I am ready for the next GS troop!

cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 18

I did this once when I had to make 22 centerpiece cakes. I cut them out of sheet cakes and if I had to go back and do it again I would just bake a ton of 6"rounds. There were too many crumbs and while I did use the left over cake for cake bites it was just a pain to cut out the cakes.
Start baking now and freeze them.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 18

This is a big job either way. But I'm with Cathy. Bake the rounds. Cutting is going to be a lot of waste and what do you gain? How many are you going to cut out of a sheet anyway. If you can fit a sheet pan, you can get as many rounds in there too. Then you don't have to cut. If you prepare your boards ahead of time, you can start to build your cakes and freeze.

I would just bite the bullet and start baking rounds.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 18

Also, if you cut from a sheet cake, all your surfaces will be exposed to the air and you run the risk of the cakes drying out while you work on them. I'd invest in however many 6" pans you can comfortably fit into your oven at once and then bake an ovenful every so often (once a day, once a week or whatever, depending on how much time you have). Wrap them and freeze them just like you would any other cakes until you have all 60 of them done, then thaw and work on however many you can ice, cover (if you're using fondant) and decorate comfortably at one time. Best of luck!

karenm0712 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 18

Wow that is a LOT of cakes! I think I would just bake 6" rounds in the 6" pan and freeze. I have had cakes well wrapped in the freezer for 2 months and they tasted GREAT when taken out and served. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Also, if you cut from a sheet cake, all your surfaces will be exposed to the air and you run the risk of the cakes drying out while you work on them. I'd invest in however many 6" pans you can comfortably fit into your oven at once and then bake an ovenful every so often (once a day, once a week or whatever, depending on how much time you have). Wrap them and freeze them just like you would any other cakes until you have all 60 of them done, then thaw and work on however many you can ice, cover (if you're using fondant) and decorate comfortably at one time. Best of luck!

I'm with Marianna46...I had to make 21 of these last summer. Of course I couldn't cut them out of sheet cakes because they were not iced; only filled. (here the pic: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1401942⊂=1435162) I purchased 5 6" pans (enough to complete 1 turn of batter - Fresh Apple Cake) and started baking 4 days ahead and put them in the freezer. I got so many compliments from the guests at the wedding...cake must have tasted greaticon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 18

I'm with the ones that say you ought to just buy as many 6" pans as will fit in your oven at once.

I just baked 28 cakes and 24 cupcakes and 7 dozen cookies on Tuesday.......so if I can do them all in one day comfortably you can definitely do this with enough pans (12 of my cakes were 1/2 sheet cakes and I can only fit 2 in the oven at once)

I'll bet you can EASILY get 10 6" round pans into your oven at once on 2 shelves.

You might see if you have a place that will rent them to you, or even if you have family members that happen to own 6" pans...a lot of regular people have a 6" round cake pan in their house somewhere!

Honestly, you should be charging enough for all of these cakes to warrant the purchase of the pans and help ease some of the burden. You may be able to bake 5 cakes worth of cakes at ONCE but there is no way you can decorate 5 cakes all simulataneously with no extra effort lol...take the help where you can get it!

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #17 of 18

And very lovely your cakes were, too, jones5cm!

annabanana183 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #18 of 18

I made 20, 6" square cakes as birth announcements for a friends son, I baked sheets and cut them to size, the baking and cutting was easy but the crumb coat was a pain .. so I would vote for using separate pans, just use a measuring jug to make sure you use the same amount of mix for all cakes.
good luck and post pics : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%