How Do I Make A Full Sheet Cake At Home?

Decorating By amyhntr2 Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 5:04am by cuppyc8kes

amyhntr2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyhntr2 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif I'm brand new.
I need to make a fondant covered full sheet cake for someone and I've never made one that big before. She's wants it to be 18x24". (I'm seeing conflicting information on the actual size of a "full sheet cake" period. Is it 18x24?)
Anyways. That probably won't fit in my regular kitchen oven right?
How do you all do it? Do you make two half sheets and put them together? Are you able to see the seam underneath the fondant if you do it that way.

Thanks for any advice! icon_smile.gif
Amy

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

yes bake two halves and put together.

can glue seam with BC or melted chocolate

very STRONG and INFLEXIBLE cake board underneath -- flexing of the support board will be the reason a seam would show.

once iced in BC and then covered in fondant the seam won't show -- unless the support board flexes.

MRMonroe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRMonroe Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 11

I put two 11X15 cakes together to get the full sheet cake. Or if your board is big enough you could use two 12X18.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 11

most full sheet cake boards/boxes won't hold 2-12x18's together (trust me I know lol) I do make them however, and what I do is cut about 2" off the 18" side and then seam them into the center of the cake, you wind up with a 1" cube that won't fit anywhere, i usually throw it at one of my kids and continue with the cake.

Make sure you put a good amount of icing in the seam where the cakes will join together...I put lots and then push the cakes together as firm as you can allowing some icing to smoosh up and on top of the cake. Then when it's all smoothed out you can't tell.

If you can see the seam with your buttercream, you'll see it with your fondant.

Also, if you don't use a sturdy enough board underneath the cake when moving it the cake will crack right down the seam!! NOT GOOD!!

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 11

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, if you seam two cakes can you stack on top of them?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 11

Yes, you piece them together. I suggest you ask how many servings are needed. Most people say "full sheet cake" but aren't sure of what size that is or how many that serves.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #7 of 11

Two 12x18's make a full sheet.
Two 11x15's is NOT a "full" sheet.

If you seam two 12x18's together, you have a single layer 18x24. There is no reason you can't stack something on top of this ..... just like you would put any other cake on top of any other single layer cake. I've done it too many times to mention.

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 11

I agree with others. I consider a full sheet cake 2- 12X18's put together. I just did one last weekend. My local cake/candy store had boards and boxes that were 20X26. They worked out perfectly.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:01am
post #9 of 11

Yes, I gree as well. I always use 2-12x18s when a customer ask for a FULL sheet cake. Its easy to combine the two cakes to seem as if they are one. Just make sure that both have been leveled to the same hieght before seaming and icing together. Also, someone spoke on support. It is a must that you have good support!! Good Luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:17pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISA

I agree with others. I consider a full sheet cake 2- 12X18's put together. I just did one last weekend. My local cake/candy store had boards and boxes that were 20X26. They worked out perfectly.

that's the size boxes I get but I find it's just too tight of a squeeze having less than 1" on the front and back of the cake, doesn't leave much room for a border without everything smooshing into the box.

Actually you know what?? I think mine is 18x25 (my box)...no wonder they don't fit for me! lol

cuppyc8kes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppyc8kes Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:04am
post #11 of 11

Hello I have a cake to do this weekend...the client wants a full sheet covered in black fondant. I tried to suggest a tiered cake, but they are set on a full sheet. I am worried about leveling evenly and covering such a big cake in fondant. Does anyone have any great tips? Thank you I appreciate the advice and your help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%