Help! Swiss Meringue Buttercream...

Baking By Mom2MandH Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm by mamawrobin

Mom2MandH Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have been making Swiss meringue buttercream for months with beautiful results. Now, however, the past two times I have tried to make it, it has been a disaster! The meringue takes forever and when it is finally stiff enough and I add the butter it turns to soup! Help! It's my favorite frosting to use and I have no clue why it isn't working. I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

Thanks! icon_confused.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 5

Heat/humidity plays a huge roll in how long it takes for the IMBC/SMBC to "come together". In the summer months, I only soften by butter to cool room temp (i.e. it's not directly from the fridge, but you can still poke your finger through it pretty easily.)

Remember, just because it turns to "soup" doesn't mean it won't "come together" into an icing after about 3/4 of the butter is added to it. thumbs_up.gif

Mom2MandH Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for your response! I am going to try again.

LisaMarie86 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5

Its the heat and humidity. And I ditto the make sure your butter isnt too soft. Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 5

I had this same thing happen to me a couple of times. Now when I make SMBC and it's hot and humid (which it is MOST of the time here) I add my butter almost straight from the fridge. I don't take it out of the fridge until I start beating my meringue. By the time I've cut it into pieces to add to the egg whites it has softened to just about the perfect consistency. I have added my butter straight from the fridge...took a little longer for my icing to "come together" but it worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%