Will My Strawberries Spoil If I Fill My Cake 2 Days Early???

Decorating By scgirl5 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm by KHalstead

scgirl5 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a wedding cake for Sat. delivery at 4:45, I'm hesitant in filling the cake today, Thur, thinking that the strawberries will get mushy by Sat. does anyone have any suggestions? Should I fill and decorate of Friday? I'm new at this so I don't want to have to rush by decorating!
Thanks for your help, I just love this web site, so many nice people!!!

7 replies
scgirl5 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 8

Forgot to mention I will fill it with Vanilla custard and fresh strawberries and then cover the cake with buttercream and finally cover that with Ivory fondant! Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Moondance Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 8

Sounds like an awful lot to do by Saturday! I personally think that the strawberries would go mushy between Thursday and Saturday, but doing the whole of it on saturday hardly leaves time for the fondant to set.....Maybe someone else will have a better idea? Goud luck

KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8

I just did 2 cakes today that are filled with bavarian cream filling and fresh sliced strawberries and they're both for Saturday.

I have purchased cakes at Sam's Club with this combo of filling in them and we've had them in the fridge for 3+ days while trying to finish eating it all and they were fine.

It will need to be kept refrigerated the whole time though, which will cause issues with your fondant covering.

The cakes I did today are being picked up tomorrow and then served on Saturday, I buttered my cake w/ the whipped icing before putting down the custard (so it wouldn't seep into the cake by Saturday), but mine are just covered in whipped icing NOT fondant!

If you can wait, I'd fill them tomorrow, and then decorate tomorrow as well

SPCC Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I just did 2 cakes today that are filled with bavarian cream filling and fresh sliced strawberries and they're both for Saturday.

I have purchased cakes at Sam's Club with this combo of filling in them and we've had them in the fridge for 3+ days while trying to finish eating it all and they were fine.

It will need to be kept refrigerated the whole time though, which will cause issues with your fondant covering.

The cakes I did today are being picked up tomorrow and then served on Saturday, I buttered my cake w/ the whipped icing before putting down the custard (so it wouldn't seep into the cake by Saturday), but mine are just covered in whipped icing NOT fondant!

If you can wait, I'd fill them tomorrow, and then decorate tomorrow as well

can you freeze a cake that has the bavarian cream in it. say if you were traveling two days?

scgirl5 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 8

Thank You so much for your input. I think I will cover the layer with butter cream then make the dam and then fill with custard and the strawberries today, I will have to work fast tomorrow covering with fondant and decorating. Wish me well, my first Wedding Cake!
Thanks again!

tweeter_bug98 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 8

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 8

I know you can freeze the bavarian cream itself and it's fine, but not sure about inside of a cake. My only fear is that when it came back to room temp. that it would just absorb into the cake and there wouldn't be that layer of bav. cream in there. Maybe if you put a thin coat of bc on both sides of the cake touching the filling though???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%