6 Batches Mmf, Can I Leave It Out Until Tomorrow?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm by Herekittykitty

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

Im getting ready to make some buttercream and fondant for my cake tomorrow. I figure, its 4 tiers (14, 12,9,7), do you think 6 batches is enough? (one batch uses about 15oz mm). The cake is covered with it, then circles put on it (like polka dots, almost), and it has a bead border on all 4 tiers. Geeze. Maybe I need 8 batches? What do you think?

I was hoping I could leave it all out tonight so it would be ready to use tomorrow morning. If I put it in the fridge, it may not warm up enough in time. I dont really prefer to microwave it, but I will if I need to. I usually make it and use it the same day so Ive never really dealt with this, but this is the first time Ive made such a large cake in fondant so I really wanted to do it all in advance. Same thing with buttercream, can it be left on the counter overnight?

Maybe I should also throw in the detail, I turn up the AC in the central part of the house to about 78 - 80 during the night time. Maybe its too warm?

5 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6

When I made MMF I wrapped it up and stuck it in the cabinet for a week before using - no refridgeration, and no AC. I think it will be fine. If you are making a butter based BC then I wouldn't leave it on the counter, particuarily not at your nighttime temps. All shortning - don't see why not.

LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure about the amounts, I've never done one that large - but I always make my MMF a day or two before I'm going to use it, and keep it on the counter is a ziplock freezer bag. I can keep it up to a week, but then I put the freezer bags also into a airtight container also to be sure it doesn't dry out. I find it's easiest to work with on day 2. Those temps won't bother the fondant.

I would put the buttercream in the fridge though. It'll come back to temp fairly quickly. Or if you have a cooler area or basement or something - keep the buttercream in the cooler area.

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 6

THanks guys! Its 5pm already and I havent done a thing. Talk about procrastinating. This site is far more interesting than making fondant. Honestly I hate making it. lol. It makes such a mess. Sugar everywhere. uuggghhh. Ok I need to get to work. Its just less I have to do tomorrow. icon_sad.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

I hate making fondant too. I have to make 4 batches tonight myself for a grad cake for Saturday.

Herekittykitty Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

Me too. That's why I generally stick to BC. But I am forcing myself to work with it more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%