Yuck...dark Pink

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm by JCE62108

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 10

Okay so working on a cupcake stand order for a customer. She was pretty insistent about the color, which was to be a dark hot pink. 1/3 of the cupcakes to be swirled in white, 1/3 light pink, and 1/3 the hot pink which she also sent a ribbon to match.

Got the cupcakes done but then I licked some hot pink icing and BLEH!!!! Its awfully bitter!! I did have to use alot of pink (I was totally squeezing it in fast, the Americolor brand) to get the right hot pink shade.

Should I warn her or just let her live with her own consequences of choosing such a bright color? I should have warned her when she ordered, but I didn't think about it....I'm so used to working with fondant that I forget that the dark colors can make buttercream taste bad.

I feel bad now that 1/3 of her cupcakes are going to taste gross. *sigh*

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 10

It's been my thoughts that all dark colors taste bad. Except red if you use Wilton's no taste red. I often wonder why there aren't no taste formulas in all the dark colors.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. She was insistent on the shade, so I'm guessing flavor was taking a back seat.

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 10

I would tell her that to achieve the darker colors as requested there is a bitter taste and possible let her taste the hot pink compared to the lighter colors she chose. This way she knows what to expect.

I'm just thinking about the complaint that will probably come after the party, so maybe this is something you might want to include in your contract with her and all future customers.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 10

I actually don't do contracts with pickup orders...at least not for now...just for deliveries.

I should have mentioned it beforehand...I'm not sure if it would be worth anything to mention it now, except to actually make her think its a bigger problem than she might otherwise think.

brincess_b Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 10

I take it the cakes are iced? Too late to add more vanilla to see if that helps, I definately wouldn't mention it to her, just setting your self up for trouble.
xx

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

I take it the cakes are iced? Too late to add more vanilla to see if that helps, I definately wouldn't mention it to her, just setting your self up for trouble.
xx

Yeah cupcakes all done...I don't think more vanilla would work....

Cindy619 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 10

Is there someone else you can have taste test one to see if it is really as bad as you think? We can tend to be our own worst critics, so I would have a friend or family member try one - of course don't tell them ahead of time that you think they are bitter because then they will be looking for it! Chances are, its not nearly as bitter as you're thinking they are icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Is there someone else you can have taste test one to see if it is really as bad as you think? We can tend to be our own worst critics, so I would have a friend or family member try one - of course don't tell them ahead of time that you think they are bitter because then they will be looking for it! Chances are, its not nearly as bitter as you're thinking they are icon_smile.gif

Yeah my hubby tried a small taste of it and he told me its not THAT bad and that I worry too much.

But yeah, a mouthful with cake will definitely be rather bitter.

However I'm just hoping the guests will be like "red and pink food coloring is always bitter" and not blame me. That, and maybe the adults will shy away from the dark pink anyway...and the kids won't care. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 10

If you mention it to her, she is gonna be sitting there TRYING to taste what you described. She will be looking for it for sure, and even if she doesnt really taste it, she will trick herself into thinking she did. Then she will come back wanting a refund. If you tell her now what good will it do? She will probably ask you to make it again with a different color, or she is gonna be upset. IF you dont tell her, she probably wont even notice. Sometimes we notice these things far more than a customer would. She may not even be able to tell the difference. If she says something about it later, maybe you can explain to her that the dark colors can make it taste a little off. Honestly, if it were me, Id just leave it alone. I never knew dark pink could taste bad actually. lol. I know black and red usually do (even the no taste red sometimes if you put enough of it). Heh. Imagine their teeth at the party. icon_smile.gif Ewww.

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 10

You know what, you're right. I bet the adults will steer clear of the dark colors. Usually they have enough experience to know what it does to your teeth anyway.

brings me back to memorial day, my mom brought home some red and blue cupcakes....I mean, I dont think they could have been darker unless you added black. I wouldnt touch it. My mom and brother were blue for the rest of the day. They gave my son a red one, he looked like he was slaughtering that cupcake as he ate it. Gruesome. Freaked me out when his diaper was red the next day, until I realized why. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%