My Cake Was On Cake Wrecks...

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm by tesso

DefyGravity Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 28

...which is totally awesome.

Monday night I cruised over to Tempe to go to the book signing for Cake Wrecks.

For those not familiar with their book signings, they do a cupcake contest where you choose your favorite wreck from the site and wreckplicate it in cupcake form. I chose "She Turned In Her Own Mother" from May 7, 2010.

Before the event, I was sitting in my seat playing around on my phone, when who should sit next to me but John (husband of Jen). We chit chatted for a few minutes, and along came Jen. We talked for a few minutes about their flight and a few other things, and I thought getting a chance to talk to them was going to be the highlight of the whole thing.

Next came the cupcake contest. They went over to the cupcake table to choose their top 3, and were going to let the audience choose the grand prize winner. The prizes slated were a set of buttons featuring popular wreck designs for the 3 finalists, and the grand prize was a carrot jockey necklace. I didn't think I had a good chance at all, but I secretly still really wanted it. I saw John walking up with the bacon flip flops, and my heart sank since it wasn't mine. Right then, I saw Jen round the corner and she was holding mine. I couldn't believe it and just said "Oh my gosh, its mine." The girl next to me (the one who crocheted the cupcake) grabbed my arm and said "It is! It is yours!" and turned around to her family sitting next to her and said "That blue one is hers!!"

They called my name and I was literally climbing over people (the place was packed) to get to the stage. They started describing them, and Jen's description of mine was: "You might remember the entry of the wedding cake that was droopy, messy, and just kind of... sad. Lisa did a PERFECT replication of it."

My cake? Perfect? This lady *literally* makes a living by making fun of cakes, so the fact that she had something nice to say about one of my creations was awesome. The other two cakes were described, then they were going to determine the winner by round of applause. They started on the other end, and both the turkey and bacon flip flops got a good round of applause, so I figured it was going to one of them. When she said my name, people were cheering and clapping. My wreckplica and I were the winners. I couldn't believe it. At all. I leaned over to Jen and said "This is absolutely insane!" and she said "You did a great job!"

After that, I collected my awesome prizes and got my book signed. I was in disbelief still, so when she asked what I wanted the inscription to say, my mind went blank and all I could say was "I don't know." So what did she write?

To "Lisa"
Under neat that
"I don't know!"
Jen Yates

As I made my way back to the cupcake table so I could get pictures of the other entries, a lot of people stopped me so they could see the cake, and a few people wanted to take a picture of me with the cake. I've never had that happen before, so the whole thing felt really surreal.

As you can see from my photo gallery, I'm not the best decorator in the world, so I couldn't believe I won the first contest I ever entered, let alone the Cake Wrecks contest. Early the next morning, I sent Jen and John an email, telling them I couldn't believe I won the contest with such a sad little cake, and generally telling them what a fantastic signing they throw. I wasn't expecting a response at all, but about an hour later, John emailed me back saying:

"And honestly, your "sad little cake" showed skill and creativity that we've rarely seen on any of our 14 tour stops. You should be really proud.

Oh, and we're putting your picture up soon on the site too so that's like 3/4 of a million people who also get the joy of seeing your cake. Cool right?"

I know this isn't a big deal to most people, but I can't stop being happy about it icon_smile.gif

Here's the link: http://www.cakewrecks.com/2010/06/tempe-treats.html

27 replies
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 28

party.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

sabriana Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 28

That is fantastic! Loved your version of the cake - man, you nailed it. The original wreck was one of the few I missed and it made me laugh out loud.

Congrats on your fab night.

jdelaney81 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 28

Hooray for you!!!

PattyT Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 28

Congratulations!! I'm a big fan of their blog...and though being "on Cake Wrecks" usually isn't a point of pride (other than Sunday Sweets)...this definitely is wonderful for you!! Your little cake was perfect.

I SO wish they'd come to Philly....

dkltll Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 28

LMAO! I literally just came from Cake Wrecks & was laughing at the winners! That was one of my favorite wrecks! Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 28

I saw it on CW and thought it was really cute! Great job and Congrats!

asanchez Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 28

Congrats!!!

Looks like so much fun!!!!

floral1210 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 28

Best wishes...Cake Wrecks style...

"congradulation on a jab wheel done!"

Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 28

i saw this! Congrats, Your cupcake was excellent icon_biggrin.gif x

cakes47 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 28

You did an awesome job!!! Congrats!!! icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 28

Congrats!!! I saw the pictures on FB and loved yours. I hope they come back to NY, when they came last year my daughter was sick. ;(

chelseak Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 28

That's awesome! I would be so excited! I love that website, and I saw your sad little cake on there the other day icon_smile.gif Great job!! And a carrot jockey necklace to boot thumbs_up.gif

Kims_cakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 28

That's just awesome! thumbs_up.gif

DefyGravity Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 28

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif I'm glad you guys get it, I think everyone on Facebook got sick of hearing about it icon_wink.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 28

Saw it this morning, and you really did nail it! Congratulations. I wish they would come to MN.

NanaFixIt Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 28

You go right on smiling and being excited - that whole experience was AWESOME! What an amazing experience to cherish forever! Rock on!

4realLaLa Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:31am
post #18 of 28

Fantastic and congrats.

4realLaLa Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #19 of 28

Fantastic and congrats.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:53am
post #20 of 28

I love Cake Wrecks and you really did nail that one! Very cool and great job!! icon_biggrin.gif

redpanda Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:09am
post #21 of 28

Congrats! The level of detail on that itty-bitty cake is amazing.

I will be going to see the book signing this Saturday in California, and hopefully the wreckplica I am making will survive the trip there. Mine won't be anything near as wonderful as yours, though.

DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:29am
post #22 of 28

AWESOME! Congrats! What could be better than that??

CookieD-oh Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:48am
post #23 of 28

Fantastic! What a great first contest to win!!!

funcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #24 of 28

I am
jealous, jellus, jilllos (the three ways my first graders spell it)

and you're wrong-It is a big deal!

Totally awesome.

Jen never post pics with herself in the photo. I am so curious to see what she and John look like.

DefyGravity Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

Jen never post pics with herself in the photo. I am so curious to see what she and John look like.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=184140&id=120913344426&ref=mf

I have some pictures on FB of both of them. Jen actually looks a lot like I expected her to, but for some reason, I thought John would look WAY different.

(excuse the low quality of the pics, we JUST moved to AZ two weeks ago and I don't know where my camera is, so they were taken with my phone)

tavyheather Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #26 of 28

I was so excited to see the entries!! I am a huge fan and would love to be attending the La Jolla one but it's ma burfday party ...oh well, glad u got to go! and Congrats!!!

funcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #27 of 28

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing all the pics. I am glad you got to attend and congratulations (or congradulasoins-cake wreck spelling) on your awesome WIN!

tesso Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #28 of 28

that is awesome !! loved your cupcake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%