Airbrushing Anyone?

Decorating By ckcakes Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 12:08am by JCE62108

ckcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckcakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a replica of the Stanley Cup and will be using an airbrush machine for the first time. Does anyone have any tips for me before I start airbrushing? I've purchased separately a metallic silver food coloring that I hope will give me the color and sheen I'm looking for. Apparently this is a good quality machine that got great reviews (it cost me about $150 so it better be good! Haha!) so hopefully I won't have any problems. But there are so many talented and experienced people on here that I thought I would ask for any advice before jumping in with both feet.

Thanks in advance!
Cheryl

4 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 5

PM tesso, she is very good with the airbrush and is very generous with help.

ckcakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

Ok thanks! Now since I'm new on here, how do I get in touch with her?

ckcakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 5

Ok thanks! Now since I'm new on here, how do I get in touch with her?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #5 of 5

practice on a piece of cardboard or paper. Experiment with how to control the pressure and flow of it. I dont know about yours, but you should be able to control the air flow intensity with a little knob someone on the compressor. All the ones I worked with had it. Sometimes the air flow is too much, especially for buttercream cakes. You can blow a hole through it! Fondant you dont really have to worry about. This is different than the lever on your gun. That controls the amount of dye coming out. Pull it back slightly, and a little dye comes out, pull it back all the way and its full blast! Just practice a bit. If you have any coloring book pages, practice on those and it will help you learn how to stay in the lines, control where the color is going, etc. One big thing I can say, if you are doing a color that is dark, do it kind of like spray paint. Spray a thin layer of color, let it dry for a few seconds, then spray another coat, let dry for a minute or so, then keep at it until you get the coverage you need. This way you avoid drops running down your cake from too much color at once (just like if you spray too much paint on something, it will drip). Have fun playing with it! I love mine. Its great for dark colors. I hate mixing dark colors in my fondant so I just make it lighter, and if I need a dark black or red I just spray it to get it intense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%