Calling All Polished Cake Decorators.

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm by honeyscakes

4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys,
When I look at you guys' pics, I realize that you guys are so polished and that's why I need your help. I'm trying to learn to cover a cake with fondant. My 2nd attempt has problems. Please look at my cake and give me some honest advice. I have this little bulge in the middle. How do I get rid of it? Tell me if you see anything else I'm doing wrong.
Thanks guys in advance.

P.S. Mamawrobin and Unlimited you guys always give such honest advice please help.
The link is below.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1719319

14 replies
4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks TexasSugar. Any other advice to make it look more well...polished?

wjbowden3 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 15

4realLaLa, well i my self havent worked very much on fandant either but i can see in all honesty , i dont see any thing wrong with your cake its very beautifull, Looks Awesome to me, love the blue bow , nice 2 tier cake, is it a 8in round, ? its looks very Professional to me , but again i am just a beginner to , all i can say is COngrads

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 15

Your cake is very cute and I love your bow. thumbs_up.gif That "little bulge in the middle" is probably caused by not allowing your cake time to settle before covering with fondant and/or not having a dam or stiffened buttercream for your filling.

When I fill my cakes I add enough powdered sugar to about 1 cup of my buttercream to use for a dam. (I add powdered sugar until I can actually roll it in my hands.) I make my dam and fill my cakes then wrap in plastic wrap and place some weight on top. Some use a book, ceramic tile, etc.

Making a "dam" for your filling and allowing your cake time to settle before final icing or covering with fondant will prevent the "bulge".

poohsmomma Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 15

I'm probably not the polished cake decorator you're looking for, but I checked out your cake. I work mainly in bc, but I thought your fondant looked very smooth, and your bow has a great shape.
As for the bulge, that I know about! Just make sure you have a good icing dam set back about 1/4" from the edge. After you crumb coat, let your cake rest overnight, or for a few hours with some weight on top so it will settle before you put the weight of bc or fondant on it.
HTH.

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 15

Stop beating yourself up, the cake is perfect. The decorating is basically flawless. Your problem is fixable.

When you fill your cakes you need a thick bc dam around the edge of the cake to prevent you fillings ( runny) from oozing out.

After you crumbcoat let it crust, wrap in plastic let it rest overnight or at least a few hours with some type of weight on top (textbook). Cakes settle so if you decorate as soon as your crumbcoat crusts, after several hours that bulge will appear on your beautifully decorated cake.

Another thing, don't put fondant on a frozen or cold cake,; it should be room temp. Your finished cake will end up with a big bubble from your cake coming to room temperture.

4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 15

That probably is it. I didn't use a stiffened dam. I will definately try that. Should I use more than a crumb-coat of buttercream or is a crumb-coat enough?

honeyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 15

I am not a polished decorator or anything such...but let me add to this...
sometimes the cake CAN bulge even when you let it settle,build a nice dam etc etc...It can be your filling that causes the cake to bulge.
I have been trying to post pictures here on CC but for some reason I cant make the picture size smaller icon_sad.gif so I will direct you towards my blog for cake pictures...
See the tall wedding cake,it bulged!!! the middle two tiers did!
I built a dam with FONDANT!!!! not buttercream BUT FONDANT!!! and STILL the cake bulged! then I crumb coated ( I NEVER CRUMB COAT MY CAKES) the cake with Chocolate Ganache and that dried firm( just as you would do under the fondant) and then I iced it with buttercream but you can see...
the culprit was filling! that darn strawberry sleeve filling from the cake supply store!!! ugh.. It poked through the fondant,through the Ganache and eventually through the buttercream and seeped out and ofcourse the cake bulged!!!
here is a link for the picture http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010/06/phew-i-can-breath-now.html
Your cake looks good icon_smile.gif I think it is very cute.Remember, the more you work and learn that better your creations will be.I saw a huge improvement in my work after i bought sugar shack DVDs.
- wish you all the best!
- H

sweetartbakery Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 15

you could also tort your cake more. I notice less blob issues that way. instead of a whole cake/icing/cake....try split each cake. that way its more wedding style when cut. it would be 4 thin layers of cake and 3 thin layers of frosting. I think it looks more even that way from the outside.

I agree with the settling advice too. I don't make extra stiff buttercream, but I do run a strip of frosting around the edge if I have a loose filling.

really, though, its good. remember this, a photograph can make a good cake look bad or a bad cake look good! take a cake that you don't feel is polished and get someone that knows what they are doing to take the picture (no touch ups, just good lighting) and you would be shocked. The poor light can show imperfections that the average person won't even notice live! :0) I make cakes all the time that I think are just awesome and then the picture looks horrible. Just today I made one that I think is pretty good (not awesome) and the picture turned out GREAT because my room had a nice soft light...

jillmakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 15

chances are your fondant was rolled too thick, causing it to be too heavy on your cake and created the bulge. Try rolling thinner and I think you will have better luck.

(ps- Am I polished enough for this question? icon_lol.gif )

Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

P.S. Mamawrobin and Unlimited you guys always give such honest advice please help.
The link is below.

Thanks. (You'll find a lot of honest advice... it's the professional advice along with honesty that's the most helpful!)

I think your cake looks fine... the slight bulge is barely noticeable.

The only thing that stands out to me is that the top tier is taller than the bottom tier... I prefer it the other way around if you want it to look more proportionate with a more sturdy-looking base.

I also think you're a lefty! (your border is fine... the direction gives it away!)

4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 15

@poohsmomma I should have said callling all decorators. I appreciate ALL advice!!

@ Honeycakes that cake is gorgeous!

4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:

The link is below.

The only thing that stands out to me is that the top tier is taller than the bottom tier... I prefer it the other way around if you want it to look more proportionate with a more sturdy-looking base.

I also think you're a lefty! (your border is fine... the direction gives it away!)

Thanks Unlimited I will def try a larger bottom tier next time. LOL I'm not a lefty I don't know why I did it in that direction. I'm just backwards sometimes. On a totally unrelated note, rolling all those balls were tedious. I need to purchase a mold, lol.

honeyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

I appreciate ALL advice!!

@ Honeycakes that cake is gorgeous!

THANKYYYYYYYY thumbs_up.gif
- H

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%