Cake Topper Weight

Decorating By divinecc Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm by Franluvsfrosting

divinecc Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am making a 12" 9" 6" square cake 3" deep pans 2 layers each tier for a bride, she has a specific cake topper she would like to use it is 7T x 5.5W x 5L - 1lb and 6 oz and made of resin. I am using WASC cake and covering in fondant. I have never put a cake topper on before and don't want to add too much weight? Would I put it on top of dowels to support?

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 9

definitely dowel the top layer of your cake, might be a good idea to cut yourself a piece of cardboard cake circle to match the base of the topper as well, to help distribute the weight of it

CWIL Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 9

That's exactly what we do KHalstead.

divinecc Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 9

Great! Thanks, I am new so I just needed a little reassurance!

honeyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

That's exactly what we do KHalstead.

DITTO!

CWIL Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 9

Hey honeyscakes, congratulations on your weight loss in 2009! That's awesome!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 9

I did a three tier wedding cake with a heavy resin figure on top and yes, I doweled the top layer. Because the base of the topper was very narrow (Willow Tree figure) I used a clear glass coaster under it. I used double stick tape to attach the topper to the glass coaster so it wouldn't get knocked off at the slightest bump. The clear glass kept the color of the cake and looked nice, the supports were placed inline with the coaster. It's the Willow Tree Wedding cake in my pictures.(Second row up from the bottom and second cake in from the left if you're visual.) icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 9

Fran, the glass coaster really does look great on your willow tree cake. I love how you bordered it with truffles! I had to save it to my favorites icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks acdoughgirl! I should mention that I piped a dot of frosting on top of the dowels I used for support under that glass coaster. That way only frosting showed through. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%