Stacking 3 1/4 Sheets...???

Decorating By Nissan10 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm by in2cakes2

Nissan10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

Im stacking 3 1/4 sheets ( and its pound cake) to make a monster truck, and i have no i idea what to use for support?? I've heard of wooden dowels then i heard plastic dowels worked better. Any suggestion would be great i have to have it stacked by the end of today! please help!

4 replies
bakingpw Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 5

I would definitely use cardboard in between each layer as your pound cake is dense and heavy. I then use dowel for each layer (3 each) to support the next (boarded) cake. After stacking, one (or two) dowel all the way though all the layers and cardboards and INTO and THROUGH the bottom foam board. The dowels in layers help support the structure so the cake does not collapse onto itself because of the weight. The dowel (s) through help it not to shift back and forth. Hope this helps.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 5

Are they two inch layers? Two layers stacked will be perfectly fine. No cardboard between the top two layers. That way you can sculpt freely. Between the bottom layer, you might need support, but maybe not. Will you really have three cakes or will you cut away a significant portion of cake to sculpt the monster truck?

Think this through. The cardboard might be more trouble than it is worth. I do stacked 11x15's all the time. My guess is it would work just stacked. Freeze your layers. They will be easier to fill and stack and sculpt and crumb coat.

Good luck.

Nissan10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 5

I baked 3 13 x 9 x2 yesterday and froze them over night and today im craving them so should I have the dowels already mounted to my base first or carve it then put the dowels in?

in2cakes2 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

I have done a few stacked carved cars and trucks and you don't need dowels. Just place your stacked filled layers on the cardboard base, carve, crumb coat, fondant or bc, put on final base the decorate. Now if you are talking about the monster truck base then I usually have my dh build a wooden platform that the carved cake rests on. The structure kinda looks like a table, and the legs are covered in fondant and hidden by the tires.hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%