Make The Fondant Navy Blue?

Decorating By KaLeEl1523 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm by andysprite

KaLeEl1523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaLeEl1523 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for this sunday and can never seem to get a nice dark navy color for the fondant. Could I use a blue and mix black into it? Or is there a navy blue coloring that I just can't seem to find? I usually use gel colors are those the right ones to be using?

4 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

I made some once. Started with Satin Ice royal blue ( which I think is closer to teal!) then added purple and black. Turned out pretty good.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 5

I made navy blue fondant a couple of weeks ago. All I did was take some Wilton blue fondant and mixed in some black fondant. I mixed a little at a time until I got the color that I wanted. Easy Peasy. icon_smile.gif

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

i got lucky once when trying for black fondant, came out Navy Blue, i started with white MMF turned it like a purple with black icing coloring, added blue to it, and more black, trying so hard to get the darn fondant black... nope still navy blue, so try mixing some black with some blue until you get what your looking for.. My advice start out with a darker based fondant as suggested by Poohsmomma wont take near as much kneading of the color.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 5

Americolor makes a great navy blue gel color. I purchase mine from CakesbySam.com and have been very happy with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%