To Buy Or Not To Buy

Decorating By annabanana183 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm by TexasSugar

annabanana183 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:42am
post #1 of 12

I am thinking of getting an airbrush kit, any tips, tricks and brand suggestions would be great.
or do you think its a big purchase for just a hobby, icon_redface.gif
Thank in advance

11 replies
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 12

don't have many tips on WHICH one to buy, mine was given to me and I have a kopykake airmaster compressor and an Iwata gun and I love them!!

I use my airbrush on a minimum of 95% of my cakes! 2/3 of them have color sprayed on, the rest of them have pearl spray added on once the cake is done. Not sure WHAT I'd do without my airbrush!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 12

Mine was an anniversary gift from DH several years ago and I just love it. I'd suggest looking at for some basic lessons in using the airbrush. Mine is the Kopykake airmaster and like KHalstead, I love mine.

yums Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 12

I have a Masters kit G23-22. I bought it brand new off ebay for $50. Works great, very simple to use and clean. Came with 4 colors.

leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 12

Meh, mine's broken at the moment. It was uber expensive and I've used it very little.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 12

My thoughts are....

1. Why do you want one?
2. How many cakes have you done where you said oh man I wish I had an airbrush?

It is so easy to get caught up in how great a product can be but we have to remember how likely we are to really use it. When you do it as a hobby you have to consider how many cakes you do and if it is really worth it.

I will say, I do love my airbrush and am happy I have it. I haven't used it on every cake, which is totally fine with me. But there are a few times where I was really happy I had it.

Now the edible printer I bought, I have used it all of two times I think. icon_sad.gif

And when the cricut came out, I was like nope I'm not going to call into that trap of it being the next biggest thing. If I had a cake shop and did a ton of cakes maybe, but with as few cakes as I do, I wouldn't use it enough to even make it worth buying it.

annabanana183 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you every one,

TexasSugar thats exactly why i am debating it too, I know I wont use it very often, But the thing is I like to paint and haven't been able to figure out how to paint on a cake yet, so I was hoping the air brush could help me with that. Also I have money in my cake allowance icon_biggrin.gif as my DH calls it, so am trying to figure out the best way to use that.
besides how much color does it use,
Theres a basic one on amazon for $130.

Thanks again

sberryp Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 12

Check out Ebay. I know they had them brand new with color for 69 free shipping. Can you tell I was thinking about getting one.

annabanana183 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 12

bobwonderbuns thats a great website, and now I am realizing it might not be that easy to use..
sberryp icon_lol.gif

Btrfly578 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 12

I checked on Ebay and the price isn't bad. Some come w/a few colors, and some come with a lot. I'm just waiting till I have the money to actually get one.

michel30014 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 12

Great question, I've been considering the same thing.... Good to see there is a thread on this subject....

TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 12

Anna, if you can paint, you don't have to have an airbrush to do that. Honestly what I have used my airbrush for is all over color on a dark blue cake, coloring a bow black, and sparying luster/pearl dust on to cakes and bows.

You can paint on a cake (buttercream or fondant) with many different items. I'd look up some past posts about the subject.

Quote by @%username% on %date%