Novice Needs Advice; I Need Gum Paste Red (Burgundy) Roses

Decorating By Mikeb5554 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 1:24am by jammjenks

Mikeb5554 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikeb5554 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am a novice, just completed the (4) Wilton courses. I need to make red gumpaste roses (Not Xmas red, but the nice Burgundy red shade of fresh red roses. I have tried and tried with no luck. Burgundy looks brown, red is too RED. Combinations of red and burgundy gave me almost a terra cota color. What am I doing wrong here? Any tips or ideas on how to achieve that nice shade of red for a rose? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

7 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #2 of 8

Make the red roses and dust with burgandy dusting powder. They look like velvet

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #3 of 8

Or airbrush the color on.

Sarahbearah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahbearah Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 8

I tried for a while trying to get a red color like that for a valentines cake I did... It is on here if you want to look and see if that is the red that you want.... I just added slowly a red, and kept adding.. Let it set after a few adds, and then added more, then let it set over night and the next day a added very small amounts of black.. No I mean very small amounts, i took some of the red and added the black to it and then added that piece of gumpaste back in with the other red, and let that set up and the color turned out really nice in the end... Hope this helps!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 8

Yep, black is better than brown to add to make burgundy. Also I second the airbrush idea.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 8

I made these by getting my paste as red as I could with Americolors super red and then I coloured a small ball sky blue. I worked the blue paste into the red a little at a time until I was happy with the shade. You need to add the blue slowly as too much will make it too purple.
HTH
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90614

Mikeb5554 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikeb5554 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all of the great tips and ideas on creating the perfect rose color. I appreciate everyones response and can't wait to give them a try.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #8 of 8

Buy them. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%