Sand Castle Cake "glue"

Decorating By kger Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm by JCE62108

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 15

I have a sand castle cake due on Sat. morning. The sand will be nilla wafers and graham cracker crumbs. What should I coat the cake with to help the sand stick? Just BC? Crusting or non-crusting? Would poured ganache work, since I have to get into all the crevices around the towers?

14 replies
heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 15

I just did one, and I just used buttercream underneath. I use crusting buttercream, but either one would work.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 15

If you put the "sand" on before the buttercream crusts, there is no reason you couldn't use a crusting buttercream. I've done that myself.

HTH!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 15

If the crumbs won't stick to the buttercream, I'd try a little thinned down piping gel over the whole surface. I've never tried this, though - I'm just thinking out loud.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 15

I bet ganache would work just fine if you wanted to do that. If it were me, Id probably just use buttercream. The gel is a good idea if the buttercream crusts too fast. As far as getting into crevices, yeah if you pour warm ganache it would probably get in there go od. I like the taste of buttercream better than white ganache, though. So Id just put it in a bag with a small tip and pipe the buttercream into any small crevices and smooth it with a really small spatula. Or even that little metal spatula thing that comes with the wilton gumpaste set, if you have it. That thing is tiny and would probably be good for really tight areas.

kger Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 15

Ok, I'm going to go with BC. Now for the topper... what would you do to a 6" round on a sand castle cake? It's for a 40th b-day. I was planning to "write in the sand" on the cake, but I might be able to do a fondant or gumpaste 4-0 and dip it in "sand". I also have some candy melt shells I've been making that I figured I could do something with.

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 15

How small are your shell molds? I think a 40 made out of shells would be awesome! I have some really tiny silicone shell molds, but I suppose most candy molds would probably be too big. Hmm... Ive tried drawing in "sand" before. I could never get it very legiable. Plus during delivery I had issues with the vibrations making the sand move and mess up the design. Something large and simple like a 40 might work will though. I did a heart with initials inside and it was kind of small, so that could have been my issue. I would use the shells somewhere for sure. That would be beautiful. I dont think you need to make a 40 out of gumpaste. Just trace it with a popsicle stick, or a gumpaste tool or something.

kger Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 15

Great ideas JCE! The shells are kind of large, I think there are 12 on one of those standard mold things, so I don't think I can do much other than scatter them around. The top of the 6" is looking rather bare, though. I could make more crenellations to surround the top. Or maybe I could try writing in the sand on the top and putting shells on the border.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:49am
post #9 of 15

I scattered candy seashells on mine and I thought it was soo neat looking. Maybe for writing the 40 in the sand you could use something clear like straws, that way it keeps the sand displaced yet you really wouldn't be able to see them. Maybe?

LeonardoLi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeonardoLi Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:58am
post #10 of 15

Don`t forget to put some sandy color in the butter cream.

JCE62108 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 15

Ok so wheres the photo! I gotta see it after all this talk. I bet its gorgeous. icon_smile.gif

kger Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #12 of 15

Ta da!

Added cocoa powder the buttercream, just used the Wilton recipe since there would be no refrigeration. Sand is graham cracker crumbs, nilla wafers (food processor) and brown sugar. FYI- brown sugar is difficult to work with over the course of a few days because it gets super clumpy.
LL

JCE62108 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #13 of 15

AWW! I love the shells on it! Where did you put the 40? I cant really tell in the photo. What are the colums made from? It looks great! Congrats!

kger Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:59am
post #14 of 15

No 40 or name. I've never worked with gumpaste or fondant really, so I didn't want to mess with it this time around. I had less than a week's notice so I didn't have time to do too much experiementing since the cake was one big experiement by itself.

The turrets are jumbo cake cones (plain ice cream cones, not made of cake) put end to end and "glued" with white candy melts, vanilla wafer cookies for the crenellations and sugar cones for the pointy roofs.

The shells are white candy melts from a Wilton mold, with a bit of pink swirled into them. It's funny how impressed DH was with the shells, since it's the easiest part. He was totally criticizing my towers (he said he's never seen a castle that looked like that before) and sand, which he said should be lighter because mine looked like construction sand.

JCE62108 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 15

Totally awesome! great idea with the ice cream cones. The only thing Ive used waffle cones for was a party hat for spongebob and gary. lol. Man, Id love it if someone ordered a giant sand castle wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%