Business Names Too Similar?

Business By kger Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 17

I'd been thinking I'd thought of the perfect name for my soon-to-be cake business, checked URLS, researched names with the state, so I was all set to start purchasing domains and registering the name, when I suddenly noticed a bakery in my town in a little strip mall with a name rather similar to mine. I had come up with Blissful Bakes and Custom Cakes (no one steal it, k?) and this place is called Hot Bakes 'n Cakes.

&*&^%^)*((!!

Of all the dumb luck.

I've been trying to convince myself to stick with my name, since they don't own the phrase Bakes and Cakes, and that it's just another word for bakery. But I've completely avoided anything with the word "Cakery" because there is a rather popular storefront in the area with that moniker.

I think they are a little different, it's an Indian restaurant that does custom cakes, whereas my business will be completely home-based custom baked goods, like cookies, cupcakes, edible favors, and of course, custom cakes.

Is it too similar, especially since we are both in the same city? Should I keep brainstorming? I have a few back-ups but that one always wins when I poll random people.

16 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 17

They don't sound anything alike to me at all... I say go for it. icon_smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 17

I agree, not too similar, and yours is way too cute not to use!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #4 of 17

I couldn't figure out any similarities at all.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 17

I say go for it. Good luck!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #6 of 17

I don't think that's similar at all. I have a friend currently dealing with a much tougher situation- someone just opened a shop near her with the very same name, only with "bakery" added to the end.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #7 of 17

I don't think they're similar, either. I'd go for it.

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #8 of 17

I agree with what everyone else is saying....its a great name and I think you should go for it!!

kger Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:11am
post #9 of 17

Thanks, everyone!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 17

I have to agree with everyone else. I see no similarities in the names. thumbs_up.gif
And....I do like your name...BTW..

kger Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 17

Just to be clear, you see no difference in Hot Bakes 'n Cakes and Blissful Bakes & Custom Cakes? 'Cuz the "bakes and cakes" part just screams out at me.

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 17

they're really not too similar! icon_biggrin.gif

Luvmyboys0609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvmyboys0609 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 17

I see no similarities either icon_smile.gif I think it's a GREAT name! I am sure you want everything to be perfect, I would be the same icon_wink.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 17

The blissful really stands out as the primary word that people will remember so no, I don;t think they'll get confused at all. Go for it!

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 17

They do sound somewhat similar to me, but I really think it comes down to the size of your city and how far away your place will be from this bakery. If you are in a large city, then this may not be an issue at all. However, if you're from a small town with only 3 bakeries, you might want to reconsider. I would look in your phone book and see how the name of your business will look in the list after its published. How many other listings are there in between you and this other bakery? If you don't plan to list your business in the phone book and you don't plan to have a store front, you probably don't have an issue anyway.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 17

It took me a full minute to see the similarities, so no, I think you're good to use it!

kger Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissergirl

They do sound somewhat similar to me, but I really think it comes down to the size of your city and how far away your place will be from this bakery. If you are in a large city, then this may not be an issue at all. However, if you're from a small town with only 3 bakeries, you might want to reconsider. I would look in your phone book and see how the name of your business will look in the list after its published. How many other listings are there in between you and this other bakery? If you don't plan to list your business in the phone book and you don't plan to have a store front, you probably don't have an issue anyway.

I'm in a metro area, but this other bakery is in the same city as me, maybe 3 miles away. No storefront for me, and I hadn't thought about the phone book because I use a cell and those are generally unlisted numbers, but that gives me something to think about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%