Make A Tassle For A Graduation Cap?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:29am by KoryAK

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 9

I have the clay extruder and I somewhat know how to make multiple strings but how do I wrap it around to hold the tassle?

Are there any tutorials??

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
JessDesserts Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 9

I cant believe I found this question because I was just about to post the same EXACT question! ! !
Mind if I hang around and wait for an answer with you?

artscallion Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 9

There's an excellent tutorial, right here on CC for this very thing. I think sadsmile did it.

edited to add link...
http://tinyurl.com/234y2kk

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 9

Sure Jess...Thanks Artscallion....

ladyk333 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 9

I did a graduation cake recently and used a garlic press to make the tassel. To attach, I made a rope by twisting two pieces of fondant/gumpaste together, I dipped the end of this in water and pushed the tastle pieces onto this. I then wrapped a skinny, flat piece of fondant/gumpaste around this to cover the joining spot and let it dry. It held together beautifully. I hope that made sense!

Good luck!
LL

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 9

Thanks Ladyk333..Great cap....How did you make the round cap part?

ladyk333 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #7 of 9

Thanks! It was my first ever grad cap and I was really happy with it. So, I used a glass cup turned upside down. I wrapped wax paper around it, like a shawl and taped it closed. I then did the same with 50/50 fondant/gumpaste and smoothed it over the top a bit (it was a bit scrunchy there, but that part was covered.) I sealed any seams with a bit of water. Then, I trimmed the bottom so the cap was flat, but my husband mentioned it looked out of proportion to the board. at this point, I decided to trim both the front and back into points, and I was much happier with this look. I just let the cap part dry on the cup and then attached all elements after. I dusted the whole thing with white pearl lustre dust and I loved that finish on it.

Good luck and enjoy!

UpAt2am Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #8 of 9

yeah, i've done 4 graduation caps in the last few weeks and for the tassel, i used a garlic press as well! it was so easy...just keep pushing it through and refilling it. depending on the size of your garlic press, you'll only need half of the tassels and can reuse the leftover gumpaste! here's a pic of the completed cake, but you can see what the tassel looked like!
LL

KoryAK Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:29am
post #9 of 9

For tassels I like to roll out both colors I need to about a 3 on my pasta machine, then put one color on top of the other and rub together to attach, then run through again on 3 - so you are left with a piece that's one color on one side and the other on the other. Now use a paring knife to slice into thin strands then gather together. If you do it a bit haphazardly, so the colors get alternated, then its very easy and looks really great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%