Help, 3 Bdays In 1...

Decorating By onemissa Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm by onemissa

onemissa Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake to do next month for three kids and I'm not really sure what to do. Two are boys and the other a girl. It would be easy if they were all boys, but the girl is very girly. Their ages range from 4 to 7. Parents asked to include sports and monster truck theme for the boys and whatever girly theme for the girl. I really wish they would let me do seperate cakes for each of them. The only other idea I have is to make a 3 tiered look like gift boxes with the different themes as gift wrap. Sorry so long and any help would be appreciated. TIA!!

8 replies
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

I understand your frustrations; cakes like this makes no sense to me. Sports, monster trucks and something girly all on the same cake WTH!!!! Give me a minute and I'll come back with something visually appealing.

dinascakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 9

I like your idea of the gift wrap on each box. Or maybe just a tier dedicated to each child. Or make a larger monster truck cake for the boys and separate smaller cake for just the girl. But personally, I like the idea of 3 separate cakes. Did you run that idea by them? Maybe they would agree to it. Hope it turns out well. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 9

castle cake

girl -- the princess

boys -- the princes who can be fighting a dragon

(tho' with each other would be more accurate I bet! that or threatening to throw the sister into the moat or feed to the dragon)

mom2twogrlz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 9

Dang it for not wanting separate cakes. I would try to talk them into 3 seperate cakes. Tell them that way each kid will feel special and not like they got robbed out of their own party and their own cake!!! Kids like to have their own cakes.

But if that doesn't work, well, give them a monster truck running over a soccer ball which is topped with a Tiara......Then maybe they'll change their mind!!!!!

malene541 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 9

I just recently had this same issue!! Two boys, one girl and a bunch of crazy ideas. I was able to convince them to do a complete Dr. Seuss theme. Each child will get their own cake with a box and "thing 1, thing 2, thing 3" characters sitting on them. Then the big cake will be stacked green ham, fish bowl and the cat's hat. They were really excited to see my idea. Sometimes I don't thing people really know what they want and they thing since the children like certain things that the cake HAS to ge those and nothing else. I've never had someone come back and say they wished they had went with their original idea. Actually, I've never had anyone NOT say an extra thank you for giving them a different idea!

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #7 of 9

Your idea makes the most sense unless you take the sports fan favorite sport and team then use those colors for the whole cake then it will flow better.

Ex. He likes basketball and his favorite teams colors are orange and blue. You could do a two tier white cake with orange and blue fondant ball borders. For the bottom tier I would do a jersey in the same color as the actual team jersey (draped over the side) on one side and a monster truck in blue with maybe some orange flames on sides of truck (propped up like it's driving up or down the cake depending on which way you position the truck) on the other side of cake, add some orange and blue fondant stars around cake . The top tier would be fondant diamond cut outs in orange and blue around the cake with small white stars at each connecting point. Maybe a bow topper (orange, blue and white of course) with diamonds and stars cutouts bursting out the cake on wires.

Just an idea. HTH

lilerintron Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

How about doing a tier cake and dividing each side, instead of each tier, to one child.

Do sports on one third, Monster truck theme on one third, and girly girl on the last third.

I know they did something similar on FoodNetwork Cake challenge, it was a set of triplets, 2 boys and a girl. They each liked that they had their own side of the cake.

onemissa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 9

lilerintron- that is so funny that you mention that because I kind of had the same thought. I am going to mention that as an option, but I also have another idea in mind. Thank you all so much for all the ideas, I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%