Crumbly Red Velvet!?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm by cutthecake

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 20

I'm baking a wedding cake for this saturday and I am quite surprised at how crumbly my red velvet cake is icon_surprised.gif I'm doing to tiers this flavor and normally I add an extra box of pudding to my mixes but this time I didn't know what to add in so I didn't. Should I have? What flavor could I add? I don't want to take away from the red velvet taste icon_confused.gif

also, I don't want to go out and get another box and rebake these layers...i'm pretty certain these layers are very crumbly! any ideas of what I can do to them other than wait to frost them before i DO frost them to keep them together??? I just had the hardest time flipping them icon_redface.gif

19 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 20

Because a normal red velvet homemade cake has cocoa powder in it I usually add regular vanilla pudding to it. I don't like to add chocolate and make the color look too dark or make the chocolate flavor too intense either. I've noticed for some reason even with the pudding added the red velvet cakes seem to no hold up as well as the vanilla/chocolate either. ???
As for the "what to do now?" ugh, if you had the time I would rebake icon_sad.gif If not then maybe try to get them almost frozen and frost them. But even when they go to cut the cake and eat it it will crumble everywhere too which is another reason to rebake. Also....being a wedding cake I don't skimp on anything!! It's a very special day and the cake needs to represent that. I guess what I'm trying to say is you should really rebake it. You will be glad you did.

step0nmi Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

Because a normal red velvet homemade cake has cocoa powder in it I usually add regular vanilla pudding to it. I don't like to add chocolate and make the color look too dark or make the chocolate flavor too intense either. I've noticed for some reason even with the pudding added the red velvet cakes seem to no hold up as well as the vanilla/chocolate either. ???
As for the "what to do now?" ugh, if you had the time I would rebake icon_sad.gif If not then maybe try to get them almost frozen and frost them. But even when they go to cut the cake and eat it it will crumble everywhere too which is another reason to rebake. Also....being a wedding cake I don't skimp on anything!! It's a very special day and the cake needs to represent that. I guess what I'm trying to say is you should really rebake it. You will be glad you did.

I think you're right! thumbs_up.gif If I'm second guessing my work and I want it to be perfect I need to re-bake! icon_lol.gif Good thing I already have some mixed and just need to add in the pudding mix...thanks for the advice on the vanilla...I have enough of that and that would make me feel better than adding chocolate...just hadn't made actual layers with red velvet, just cupcakes!

Off to the oven again! icon_lol.gif

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 20

I agree to the rebake. I also put a little (1 spoon) of vinegar, it give the flavor of the real red velvet and help to make it more firm.

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 20

I agree to the rebake. I also put a little (1 spoon) of vinegar, it give the flavor of the real red velvet and help to make it more firm.

step0nmi Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 20
Quote:

I think you're right! thumbs_up.gif If I'm second guessing my work and I want it to be perfect I need to re-bake! icon_lol.gif Good thing I already have some mixed and just need to add in the pudding mix...thanks for the advice on the vanilla...I have enough of that and that would make me feel better than adding chocolate...just hadn't made actual layers with red velvet, just cupcakes!

Off to the oven again! icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #7 of 20

I would be a little nervous about putting the vinegar in my cake icon_surprised.gifpps:

but the cake batter is fixed and I'm re-baking! icon_biggrin.gif we'll see how they turn out now

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:38am
post #8 of 20

If you are using a mix I don't think the pudding is going to help much with be crumbly. I have sculpted cakes with Duncan Hines red velvet and it's always crumbly. Just wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. It helps keep in the moisture and helps with the crumbs. It's just one of those crumbly cakes we have to deal with. I use Wiltons cake icing tip to frost my red velvet cakes. I don't crumb coat. Just place a nice band of frosting using the tip and smooth. This way you don't have to deal with the crumbs.

malene541 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 20

Yes, sweettreat101, Duncan Hines cakes for me are always crumbly even with the pudding added. I prefer to doctor up Betty Crocker but unfortunately I have never seen a Betty Crocker red velvet cake mix.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 20

I use DH red velvet cake mix and this is how I "doctor" it. I don't use any oil in mine...The more oil you add to a cake recipe the more "crumbly" it will be....or that's MY experience anyway.

1 Box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons (level) cocoa powder
1 4 ounce box White Chocolate instant pudding mix
3 eggs plus 1 egg white
1 cup sour cream
1 cup strong cold coffee (or 1/2 c. cold coffee and 1/2 c. water)
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract

Sift dry ingredients in bowl and set aside. Combine eggs, sour cream,
coffee and vanilla and add half the sifted dry ingredients. Mix just until blended...scrap sides of bowl and add remaining dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.
Bake at 325 until done.
Makes enough batter for four 6" pans, two 9" pans or one 12" pan.
(with DH mix anyway...it always yields more batter than BC or PB)

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 20

Use chocolate cake mix then add super red color. You will have Red V. Oh and add some sour cream it will improve the taste.

step0nmi Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 20

oh wow! Thanks for all the advice...I will have to try these things next time. The pudding and putting some extra cocoa powder did the trick icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolledupcakes

Use chocolate cake mix then add super red color. You will have Red V. Oh and add some sour cream it will improve the taste.

That might make a "red" cake but it won't be a "red velvet cake". You would be much better off making a scratch red velvet for both taste and stability. Sarah's tweeked recipe on this site is very good.

malene541 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks mamawrobin!!! I will have to try this one! One question though, I can only seem to find the white chocolate pudding that is sugar free. Is that the stuff I need or do you actually find the regular white chocolate pudding??

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Thanks mamawrobin!!! I will have to try this one! One question though, I can only seem to find the white chocolate pudding that is sugar free. Is that the stuff I need or do you actually find the regular white chocolate pudding??

I would find the one that isn't "sugar free". The only place that I can find it is Wal-Mart.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

oh I only gave her this advice as a quick fix...

Well if it's for a paying customer and they ordered red velvet she would be refunding their money. Not something I'd want to do after spending hours and $$ on supplies.

step0nmi Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:

oh I only gave her this advice as a quick fix...

Well if it's for a paying customer and they ordered red velvet she would be refunding their money. Not something I'd want to do after spending hours and $$ on supplies.

I have heard that suggestion before...everythings fine. This is for my cousin's wedding and it's a gift icon_smile.gif

Jen1002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen1002 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 20

I used to use DH mixes and doctored all the mixes the same as the white almond sour cream recipe. Duncan Hines does have a red velvet mix, hopefully you can get it in your area. When I doctored the mix, just never with pudding. I always added 1 cup each of sugar, flour and sour cream and maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons of cocoa. Then add the same amount of oil, water and eggs that the box calls for. I never had an issue with the cake being crumbly, ever but instead I always got rave reviews on how moist my cakes were.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 20

I just made Paula Deen's Red Velvet cake recipe into cupcakes. They're so soft and crumbly that I cannot frost them without having them disintegrate. Good thing this was just an experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%