Cheap Scratch Cake Mix Recipie Please Like The Chocolate One

Baking By strathmore Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 11:27am by strathmore

strathmore Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 6

Not sure how to word it but I have a recipie for a chocolate cake - one of the names for it is crazy cake - it has no eggs butter or milk. Its a cheap cake to make and I need a plain version of it like vanilla for bulk kids birthday cakes. I have searched for one but most seem to have on or the other ingredients. I have tried to adapt my choc one but its not quite right. Is there such a recipie or will I have to go the eggs milk butter route ??

5 replies
LindaF144a Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

Not sure how to word it but I have a recipie for a chocolate cake - one of the names for it is crazy cake - it has no eggs butter or milk. Its a cheap cake to make and I need a plain version of it like vanilla for bulk kids birthday cakes. I have searched for one but most seem to have on or the other ingredients. I have tried to adapt my choc one but its not quite right. Is there such a recipie or will I have to go the eggs milk butter route ??

I don't have a recipe. But when you adapted this one, did you put back in as flour the amount of cocoa you took out? That is if you used cocoa. If you used melted chocolate, you can put back butter to make up for that. How much butter I can't say because it depends on which chocolate you use. But basically you are putting back in the fat you are taking out when you leave out melted chocolate.

Cocoa powder is a starch and acts as a toughener in recipes. That is why when you add chocolate to a vanilla cake you need to take out an equal amount in flour. So if you are going the other way around, then you add back the same amount of flour as you took out in cocoa.

Now as for the taste, I couldn't say. I have never made a crazy cake. I do have a book here that does have the recipe, but it is a chocolate cake book so the cake is probably the same one you use.

HTH

strathmore Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

Thankyou. Yes i did replace with equal qty of flour, and also upping the sugar as it tasted a bit floury. They are in the freezer at the moment - hoping that will help with the texture and taste. I have a couple more actual recipies to try but they do use evaporated milk or margarine/butter. If the recipie says 1 cup evap milk do you think I could use normal full fat with a tablespoon of oil ??

LindaF144a Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

Thankyou. Yes i did replace with equal qty of flour, and also upping the sugar as it tasted a bit floury. They are in the freezer at the moment - hoping that will help with the texture and taste. I have a couple more actual recipies to try but they do use evaporated milk or margarine/butter. If the recipie says 1 cup evap milk do you think I could use normal full fat with a tablespoon of oil ??

Evaporated milk is milk that has been concentrated down til it contains twice the milkfat than regular milk. I don't know how much oil you could substitute for the missing milkfat, but you will certainly get a different taste than milk fat.

I couldn't really give you an answer that it would work or not. If you don't mind the outcome and are curious of the results, you can certainly give it a go and see what you get. But regular milk will have a higher percentage of liquid (what is leftover after you acount for the milkfat and other solids) than evaporated milk. So I don't think it is an even swamp of amount for amount.

Often time when I can't figure it out, I'll just go ahead and cook it with my idea of what will work. Mind you, I'm not baking on a deadline, so I have this luxury. Only once have I deemed it not fit for consumption. Even with my mistakes if it tastes good, I can always find someone willing to eat it. Most of the time it is where my DH works. They will eat almost anything there. icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

Includes variations, even one for gluten-free.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/featured_recipe5.php
Kathy Przywara's Wacky Cake
Substitutions
Vanilla: omit cocoa. Double amount of vanilla.
Spice: omit cocoa. Add 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice.
Orange: omit cocoa & vinegar. Substitute orange juice for the water.
Lemon: omit cocoa. Substitute lemon juice for vinegar. Some lemon extract can be added.

strathmore Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #6 of 6

Awesome thanks. icon_biggrin.gif I have one very similar to this but its about 3 times the amount so will compare them - it might be the same one just trebled !! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%