What Would Make My Cake Gummy?

Baking By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 12:41am by dozenredroses

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I baked a lady bug cake the other night. 8" round bottom, and used a stainless bowl to bake the lady bug body. I leveled both of them, and they looked fully cooked when I cut the tops off. Also, used the toothpick for the middle and they both came out clean. So I get a call from the lady saying the whole cake was gummy inside icon_confused.gif . I asked if she kept any of the cake so I could see what was wrong with it (but you know the story...... she threw it all away). I've sold her a cake before with no problems.... so I wouldn't think she would be trying to get a free cake. But I'm at a loss on why the whole cake would be gummy after I trimmed both cakes and they looked fine to me. I baked the cake the night before the party, and finished decorating it early that morning. Needless to say, I offered her a free cake for her next birthday party...... just confused!
Any ideas?

3 replies
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 4

Were they both gummy or just the lady bug? I'm assuming the lady bug is just one layer and anything baked that deep needs a heating core to get the center cooked all the way through. A tooth pick isn't near long enough to go into a cake that deep to check for doneness.

KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 4

I would figure the same thing.......I baked a Barbie doll cake and torted it......it baked for almost 2 hrs. at 325, I had to put foil over the top to keep it from browning anymore. I put a skewer down through the whole thing until it was clean and yet when I torted the cake it looked gummy throughout the whole center.

I wound up buying the wilton pan with the center rod and that did the trick.

You need SOMETHING down the center of a cake that deep or it just won't bake in the center.

dozenredroses Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 4

I agree on the bowl cakes.

BTW, the cake is adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%