Tree Bark In Fondant

Decorating By aspecialcake Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 3:15am by emiyeric

aspecialcake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 7

Dear creative decorators,
I will be making a family tree cake and was wondering if anyone has good tips on how to do the tree bark in fondant. any suggestions will be highly appreciated!
thanks,
Anat

6 replies
rhoslyn Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

what I have all was done was take the back of a knife and ran it lightly over the fondant or icing, that what I have seen most people done, hope it works for you. icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 7

I made my cousins wedding cake two weeks ago and the bottom tier looked like a log. I had my brother get me a piece of tree bark. I cleaned and painted the bark with non toxic craft paint to make sure no wooden pieces would stick in my mold. I then used Amazing mold putty and made a silicone mold. Worked great. I also made a small bark mold about 1x1 to use on the seams. I cut out two pieces and then connected the two pieces by splicing with the smaller mold.

tastyart Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

Wow, I bet that looked great, sweettreat! When I made bark I just used a knife and the handle of a paint brush to sculpt it by hand.

saberger Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 7

I just made an apple tree with a pvc pipe wrapped with RKT. I add a couple of 'lines' and the "owls' hole" wuth RKT. Then using dark brown, black and light brown fondant rolled out rather thinly, I covered the unsmoothed RKT. I didn't want to smooth the RKT too much since trees are bumpy, but I also didn't want to leave it extremely bumpy. I kind of just eyeballed it. The marbelized fondant gave it some depth and when it covered the extra RKT lines, it added even more, I think. I was pretty pleased with it.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 7

I thought about doing that but this was so much faster and realistic to boot.

emiyeric Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 7

Sweettreats, iwould lovE to see how it turned out, thatsounds fabulous! I did a tree trunk (my fairy cake in my pics) awhile ago, and more recently I have a cake board that I made to simulate wood planks - diffeent overall purpose, but I would use the exact same techniques for your bark.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1722743

Basically, I would marble brown fondants together and run a sharp knife lightly over it in lines and loops with an occasional knot to give texture once it's covering your tier. Then I wouldtake a fan brush with a lint mixture of vodka and dark brown color or petal dust and brush lightly over the grooves I made withtbe knife to bringe out the texture. Good luck and remember to post a pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%