Which Is Easier?

Decorating By kirsti Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm by Marianna46

kirsti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsti Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! This is my first post but I have definitely been creeping the boards just soaking it all in.

I am making a hockey jersey cake for my son's hockey team, and I need to do the logo. I previously did a Chicago Blackhawks logo out of Royal Icing, let it dry and then inverted it onto the cake - but now I am wondering if it would be easier to do a frozen buttercream transfer instead of the RI.....

Anyone have any opinions on which is easier to work with, and easier to put on the cake?? (and which looks better)

Thanks so much!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I prefer the frozen buttercream transfer. In my experience, it separates easier from the paper it's piped onto and doesn't break as easily if you need to move it around a little. Also the surface of an RI transfer isn't that smooth once you take the paper off, unless it's bone dry.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

definitely the buttercream! Not to mention it's so much nicer when it comes time to cut and serve the cake AND people are so impressed, once the icing thaws (in a matter of minutes) it's impossible to tell that the pic was copied and flipped.......it looks like it was hand piped on the cake.

When people say.......did you draw that with icing?? You just say....YEP! They will be so impressed!!

here is one I just did recently so you can see what the fbct's look like
LL

kirsti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsti Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much! I will give that a try!
I am going to be covering the cake with fondant, so would I just place the fbct on that and when it melts it would adhere?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

Yep!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%