Mmf For Decorations??

Baking By brensmom12 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm by catlharper

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 8

In my Wilton Gum Paste and Fondant class the instructor said you could not use MMF for decorations? She said only Wilton fondant for decorations WHAT? Could someone help me with this, because I think it is just a way for Wilton to corner the market on fondant icon_razz.gif I have used MMF with tylose and it was a little soft but it turned out ok I think.

Also any suggestions for a gum paste recipe or alternative to Wilton? Nothing against them but just in search of ways to save a little money.

Thanks!
Catherine

7 replies
stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 8

I have heard that Wilton is great for making decorations but that's about the only good thing I have heard about it. I have used MMF for decorations with added tylose and it works just fine but here is a link to a recipe for gumpaste. I haven't tried it yet but I will be soon!! Good luck!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2142/gumpaste

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

I have used both straight Wilton and straight MMF and MFF obviously Wilton is easier to work with but MMF and MFF are great as well and taste WAY better... Not sure what the instructor was talking about I assume just promoting their product. As for the gumpaste I have no clue as I do not use it often. Question though when you add tylose to your MMF what does that change and how much do you add? Thank you icon_smile.gif

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 8

The Wilton instructors will most definetely promote Wilton products. I had the same thing happen.

I have made my own MMF and Michelle Foster's fondant (the best), I just add the tylose to the little batch I am working with. I am sure I add too much but the fondant/gumpaste is not soft when I'm done/
Try it that way pinch you off a wad (sounds so awful) I use the small spatula I got in a kit and dip it into the fondant til I think I have enough, I work it and then add some more.
I am sure I have done this all wrong by not measuring but it's worked for me.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 8

I added about 1 tsp of Tylose per pound of MMF. I could probably add more without hurting it.
I would like to try the recipe for the gum paste but I was concerned about the egg whites? Anyone ever tried it with meringue powder and water (equivalent to 4 egg whites)?

Catherine

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 8

I use MMF all the time for decorations and it works just fine. If you have the time to let it dry (2-3 weeks) then you don't need to add anything to it but if you want it to dry faster then add about a teaspoon of tylose for every cup of fondant and it will dry within about a week. Obviously if you need it to be dry overnight then use gumpaste. However if this is for lettering or flowers or something that lay flat on the sides of the cake then no drying time is needed and no additives are needed either..just cut out the MMF and stick it on. On buttercream just use a bit of buttercream to adhear it and if it's onto a MMF covering then just use a bit of water on a paint brush to adhear it. No problems.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:43am
post #7 of 8

I made and put MMF decorations on my cupcakes last night. Within a few hours, they got very limp and I had to take them off. Will letting them dry or adding the tylose prevent that? It was just 1/8" thick round and small cookie cutter shapes.

Thanks! Maria
LL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 8

Yup...add tylose and let them dry hard as a rock. Also, do NOT refridgerate after applying the decorations. Humidity is a Killer for these and will make them wilt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%