Fondant Covered Cake In Cake Caddy?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 12:17am by -Tubbs

letsgetcaking Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to start working on a cake tonight for my sister-in-law's birthday. I want to attempt something similar to this one by kingwoodmom:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1709708

We will be making a five hour car trip to see her on Friday. I have a cake caddy that I got at Michael's. My question is, will it be okay for the cake to be in the caddy with the lid on and latches closed for five hours? I keep reading on here that fondant cakes need to breathe, but will 5 hours do the cake in?

It's just a small family gathering, so it's okay if it's not perfect. I just don't want it to look gross or taste bad. Would it be better to try to decorate it with buttercream?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you have.

9 replies
Jenteach Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 10

When I have put a fondant covered cake in the caddy for about an hour, I got a huge air bubble on the one side - I would use a box instead if you can....

HTH

Jen

metria Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 10

last time i put a fondant cake into my caddy it was there overnight. the next morning the fondant looked softened and slightly shiny ... not in a good way. the fondant bow had completely collapsed/flattened. that was ~ 8 hours.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 10

The answer is NO! The moistured from the cake will be absorbed by the fondant and it will be a disaster. Just put it in a cake box and place the box on non skid mat on a flat surface in the car (not a seat).

picakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with the other posts. I learned this one the hard way. Fondant cake + cake caddy = melty mess. I would use a box instead.

letsgetcaking Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much, guys! I wouldn't want all my work to go down the drain. Do you know if you can get boxes tall enough for an 8" stacked cake at Michael's? Are they expensive?

KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 10

if it's a 2 tiered cake, just get a regular cardboard box (I go to the local grocery store and gets boxes that are meant to have food in them in the first place) AND they're FREE!

Then just tape up the flaps on the box and put plastic wrap over the top to keep any stray hairs, etc. out of the cake. It's still breathable in the cardboard box and won't melt on you (as long as your car isn't hot)

meharding Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 10

I believe someone on this website did a comparison of plastic container vs cardboard and the plastic container caused the frosting to get too moist. The cheapest way to get a box is a free one from the grocery store. When I have to transport cakes 2 hours away to my grandchildren I just go to the U-haul place and buy a box that is size appropriate for the cake. Hope this helps.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 10

Grocery store boxes are dirty and not sanitary. They've been stored in warehouses with mice and bugs.

-Tubbs Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #10 of 10

I use new brown cardboard shipping boxes from Staples. They are 12x12x12" and very sturdy. Don't waste your money on Wilton boxes from Michaels - not only are they very flimsy, they also won't be tall enough for your needs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%