White Chocolate Ganache Under Fondant

Baking By kricket Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm by Charmed

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 5

I've used chocolate ganache under fondant and am pleased with the results. But what about white chocolate? And when you make "white chocolate ganache" what are we really talking about? "White chocolate" is the name used for A LOT of products. Is ganache made with the real stuff (meaning it contains cocoa butter) or with the fake stuff (i.e. Wilton melts, etc....)?

I do know that the recipe proportions are different (3 to 1, instead of 2 to 1), but I don't know which product to use. Can anyone help?

4 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't made ganache yet but white chocolate has no cocoa butter in it. Use real white chocolate (cake supply stores) not candy melts. I'm not sure if you can use candy melts. Someone else with more knowledge will come along and with an answer for that one.

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

I made a cake with white chocolate ganache once. I used the ghirardelli white choco bar (with cocoa butter in it), everybody loved it. The ghirardelli white choco chips don't have cocoa butter in their choco, it taste different and way too sweet.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 5

I've used Baker's white chocolate squares. The problem with white chocolate ganache is that it tends to be way too soft. You have to use a higher ratio of the white chocolate to the cream.

Here is a recipe for white chocolate ganache, see the notes at the bottom. This recipe is for a filling so it may not be hard enough. You may have to use a higher chocolate ratio than they recipe calls for.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2116/chocolate-ganache-1

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

White chocolate doesn't have chocolate liquor but contains cocoa butter, milk and sugar. I use 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. I like to make white ganache with a good quality chocolate but I have made ganache couple of time with merckens candy melts but it is very sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%