Is It Still Ok

Decorating By yummy Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm by moranda

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 7

I made a cake last Wednesday and froze it. I took it out on Sat. sat on counter wrapped good, then I filled and crumb coated on Mon. Wanted to ice today is it still good?

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 7

Once I take a cake out of the freezer, I usually eat it within the week. But, that's just me. Others may do different.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

It's really hard to tell. I will depend some on what flavor, box or scratch, and what temp it is around your place. Also what did you use for filling.
Is it for an order? Or just for the family?
I'd hesitate for an order. For family/friend I'd say go for it with the knowledge any leftovers probably won't last.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 7

You're generally got about 5 days on a cake, so it should be OK today and tomorrow. My opinion is NOT a guarantee, but a number of the cakes you've bought from grocery stores and bakeries over the years have been several days old when you bought them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 7

If it is for an order my answer would be no.

For family and friends, personally I'd just rebake it anyway. I don't really like cake after it is 4-5 days old, so for me this cake would already be in the iffy period before it was served and if I did eat it I wouldn't touch any left overs.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all. I'm hesitant too that's why I posted. It's for family and it's a amaretto cake (doctored box mix) and filled with raspberry filling from the sleeve.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 7

I was wondering how long a cake would last covered in fondant, so last week I entered a couple of cakes in the county fair, they were both fondant covered. I decorated them on Sunday and delivered them to the fair on Tuesday, then I picked them up the following Monday. They had been out with no refrigeration the whole time.

Just to see what it was like as I was dumping them into the dumpster I broke a piece off of on and tasted a little of the cake, it was a good and moist as when it was fresh baked.

Now mind you I would never serve a cake that old to anyone but I was just curious, I was amazed that it still tasted fresh.

I would say for family/friends it is probably okay, I know when I make cakes for others they often tell me they are still eating leftovers a week later and that they taste as good as they did the first day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%