Did I Ruin My Cakes?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm by cabecakes

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 8

Last evening I baked four cake layers. I was falling asleep, and wanted to get to bed, so when they had just a suggestion of warmth left to them, I wrapped them in saran wrap and put that in a freezer bag and plopped them in the freezer.

Did I ruin them by not waiting until they were 100% cool? It was really just a suggestion of warmth, so not much. I'm giving this cake away, so I hope I didn't ruin the texture. It was the WASC with oil recipe.

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 8

Nope. I do it all the time. I even level my cakes before sticking them in the freezer, so I KNOW it's still warm in the middle.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 8

That's great to hear! Thanks! For some reason, I was under the impression the cakes had to be totally cool before either leveling OR freezing. Shows what I know.....

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

I try to put all of mine in the freezer while still warm. The remaining steam from the heat makes a very moist cake!

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 8

Same here....there is a post somewhere about his...I put mine in the freezer still hot....almost burn myself trying to get them in the freezer. I will see if I can find the post and add it about putting them in the freezer warm. Suppose to add moisture.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 8

I also use the WASC recipe. I wait til they're cool (or almost all the way cool icon_wink.gif ) before freezing and they're so moist I practically have to pour them out of their wrapping. I can't imagine what they'd be like if I put them in the freezer while HOT! icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

Just my two bits worth. I wait till completely cooled. Was taught in high school cooking/baking course, that freezing while still warm causes excess moisture which in turn causes unwanted ice crystals.
50 odd years later I still follow that advice! icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8

Ice crystals might be an issue if you were planning on leaving them for a while in the freezer, but most people are only leaving them a few days. It isn't like they are going to get freezer burned overnight. I haven't put mine in the freezer while hot, but I have done barely warm and completely cool. I have left them as long as a week, and I personally can't tell the difference from a fresh baked cake. I do suggest that when you remove them from the freezer that you remove the wrap to assure that any excess moisture on the wrapper doesn't make your cake soggy. I remove the from the freezer wrap and cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow them to thaw completely before using (but that's just me and my humble opinion)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%