Wedding Cake Fondant/marzipan?

Decorating By lozlg Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm by lynseyg2002

lozlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lozlg Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #1 of 2

Hi there, thank god i found this site. I am making my first wedding cake for my brother in law. Heres a similar cake: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KFAXrkWZDgc/R-j_vvdM8VI/AAAAAAAAADQ/HdykgZXGpi4/s320/red-rose-cake.jpg.

I am making the cakes vanilla sponge and i am confused about what to cover it with. I want to use ivory fondant/sugarpaste. I see that with fruit cakes people usually cover with marzipan then the fondant/sugarpaste. What do i do with a vanilla sponge? Would you use marzipan on a vanilla sponge? or is that just for fruit cakes? One of my books suggests 2 layers of fondant/sp or 1 thick layer to get that smooth finish.

I have made many fondant covered birthday cakes which i think are pretty average but i want that smooth finish with absolutly no lumps and bumps as in the pic. Thank you.

1 reply
lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there, I only use marzipan on fruit cakes unless the customer has specifically asked for it on the sponge cakes as well. I cover my sponge cakes in slightly thicker sugarpaste too to keep them roughly the same thickness as if they had marzipan on . HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%