Pound Cake For 50?

Decorating By soph917 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm by KHalstead

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:15am
post #1 of 7

So it has been a very long time since I have made pound cake, and I have had a request for pound cake by this Friday. For 50 people. First of all, I have to nail down a recipe, which means baking one off and taste testing it. It will be used for strawberry shortcake, so not much else to worry about- no fillings, frosting, or decorating.

So my questions-
Can I bake pound cake in anything else beside a bundt or loaf pan? Is it just traditionally done in these pans, or is there any significance?

I am thinking for my 9x5 loaf pans will yield 9 servings. Is this correct? And I have been trying to figure out how many servings a bundt pan will yield, but the information is all over the place on that one. Should I just tell her (it's my aunt) that she's getting loaves, and thats all I can do, since it's so last minute? Loaves just seem like they would be easier all around to me....

Also, how would YOU charge a client that just wanted cake? No fillings, frostings, or decor? It's still a scratch cake, and a lot of it, so its NOT a freebie, but I can't very well charge the same price that I would for a regular cake. I am just interested to hear what others are thinking on this matter.

TIA!

6 replies
SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:15am
post #2 of 7

I don't sell cakes, but I can pretty much guess the answers you will get. You need to figure out how much it costs you to make the pound cake. It's just like figuring the cost for a regular cake, except it will probably be easier, since you don't have as much to figure in without all the extra stuff. Once you figure out your cost for your supplies, equipment, time and labor, what others in your area charge, then you will be able to make a better decision about what to charge. If you sell cakes regularly, do you have a system for pricing them? If not, I know there are pricing matrixes here in the forums. Just omit the stuff you don't have to do.

As for the pound cake, I believe it can be baked in anything. If I'm right, because of the density, cakers use it a lot for carving.

HTH! Good luck on your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:22am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph917

Also, how would YOU charge a client that just wanted cake? No fillings, frostings, or decor? It's still a scratch cake, and a lot of it, so its NOT a freebie, but I can't very well charge the same price that I would for a regular cake. I am just interested to hear what others are thinking on this matter.

I would charge the same amount as i do for a frosted and decorated cake. It is a special request which means it cost more than if i did it all the time. Since it's not covered i would have to bake as late as possible so it doesn't dry out.

As for how much, it depends on what prices you're paying for your ingredients. which are different than what i would pay for mine.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 7

When I bake pound cakes for the farmers market and slice them up, I bake them im a 10 in tube pan and can get 15 generous slices sometimes more out of it. For a whole pound cake, I normally charge $30.00 for my area. Hope that helps

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 7

You can bake a pound cake as a layer cake. I holds up well. I just did one last night.

And I would charge the price you use per serving for a plain buttercream frosted cake.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 7

I recently did one in a half sheet pan and it worked out just fine.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 7

I also would charge your regular price, pound cake is by nature usually a bit more expensive ingredient wise (with all the butter) than a regular cake recipe. I would explain to your aunt that pound cakes cost MORE for you to make than your other cakes, but since you're not decorating you'll ONLY charge her your regular cake price , even for the pound cake.

Make her feel like she's getting a deal lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%