Sparkles On Cake

Decorating By cakewhiz Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm by Herekittykitty

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #1 of 10

I only work with butter cream icing. Can any of you recommend what I might use on my cake that would sparkle/glitter/shine. My bride wants her wedding cake to have "sequins" on her cake that sparkle. Of course, they must be edible.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

9 replies
lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 10

How about small edible dragees or balls, you can get them in all different colours now too icon_smile.gif HTH

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 10
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 10

Disco Dust but I don't know if you can use on buttercream.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 10

Or sparkling sugar all over the bc. I do a lot of cakes like that.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions. I will follow up on them.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 10

Here's a recipe called "Sunburst Glitter" for homemade edible glitter that you can decorate food with (from www . divinerecipes . com). You can probably use CMC instead of gum arabic, which is more expensive and harder to find. I notice it doesn't say when to add the egg white, but I guess you do it after you dissolve the gum arabic in the warm water:

1 tbsp. warm water
1 tbsp. gum arabic
1 egg white

Mix gum arabic and warm water in cup over hot water until completely dissolved. If you wish it colored, add it at this stage. A little blue will whiten flakes; yellow with a little orange makes gold. Used plain gives a silver effect. Apply egg white to surface of mirror or glass upon which the above mixture is to be poured, spread very evenly but not too thin with finger tips. Let stand 12 hours or until dry. (May be dried in oven after heat is turned off.) When dry, scrape off with razor blade in long even strokes. Sift through a strainer and store in dry covered container.

Sandy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy28 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 10

I'm really new at all this could you tell me what CMC is? Sorry for the dumb question...

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 10

Not dumb at all. You've gotta start somewhere! CMC is a powder that looks kind of like gelatin. The letters stand for the name of a chemical that I can't remember (something-Methyl-Cellulose, I think). It's used to make gumpaste sturdy, pliable and fast-drying. The natural version of this stuff is a plant derivative called gum arabic (or gum tragacanth, but I'm not sure whether these are two names for the same thing or two different compounds). Gum arabic costs about twice as much as CMC, but they do more or less the same thing. You can usually get it at places that sell things for cake decorating.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 10

I use disco dust on BC all the time after it has crusted. I know some are against Disco Dust on edible things but personally I am good with the teeny tiny amount that anyone would ingest, including myself.

After the BC crusts, use a soft brush to gently apply to the locations or mix with a bit of vodka to paint on for a lighter touch (just make sure it isn't too wet).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%