So, Am I Crazy??

Decorating By KayMc Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:46am by NerdyGirl

KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

Next week I have the fourth/last Wilton class for basic decorating. All of the projects so far have been rather un-pretty. The second class we had to do this nasty cupcake on top of the cake. It was truly awful! I came home, scraped it off, and put on the big loopy fondant bow that was drying on my counter, along with some gumpaste flowers I had as well. It became quite nice!

I don't want to just do the cake that's in the book for us to make, so I've decided to do my first stacked cake. icon_surprised.gif I'm baking two 8" layers, and two 6" layers. I also made 20 of those new ribbon roses and they're drying on the counter. The reason I think I might be crazy, is that I'll need to pipe in order to do the design I'm thinking of. And I have already announced to all of you how much I suck at piping! Am I nuts? I'll have to pipe shell borders, and dots. It doesn't sound IMPOSSIBLE, does it????????

5 replies
dozenredroses Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

No! This is how you learn. Have fun and explore. Don't be to hard on yourself and post pictures.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6

The best way to learn how to swim is to jump in a lake. That's how I learned decorating. I was thrown into the mix at the grocery store bakery. My boss showed me how to pipe a rose a couple times and then said "Okay, so do three roses a piece for those cookie cakes that are on the rack over there and put them on the table. See you tomorrow!"

I wouldn't let my mind psych me out of the job at hand. I would just think, "Ok, this is what I have to do now. So just do it." And I did it.

MJoycake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 6

This is a great opportunity for more practice! Definitely a great idea to use your Wilton class cakes to do the things you feel the least comfortable with! Go for it and have fun!

KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6

It will be a learning experience, that's for sure! Thanks for the encouragement, guys! If it's not too dreadful, I'll post pictures. icon_redface.gif

NerdyGirl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #6 of 6

Have you SEEN my pictures? Just DO it! Have fun. Don't stress out.

As a side note, yes...you're crazy. But the good kind of crazy. Creative people are crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%