What Is The Best Bc Recipe?

Baking By carmycakes Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm by littlecake

carmycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmycakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 8

I use the recipe from Wilton. Does it need to crust in order to smooth out? What is the best recipe to use?

thanks

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 8

"Hands down" Indydebi's buttercream in my opinion. It crust very well, taste awesome and is a dream to smooth. I've got some in my mixer right now. I do make a couple of "changes" to the recipe that I think make it creamier and smoother. First of all I beat (pulverize) the crisco for at least 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. Second I warm my milk (I use half and half instead) before adding. After all of the ingredients have been added I walk away from my mixer and let it go. I usually let it mix for at least 20-30 minutes.

Not only is it an awesome icing, it holds up to extreme heat and humidity beautifully thumbs_up.gif

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 8

Ditto on that. I used her recipe this weekend for an outside baby shower and the buttercream held up great and everybody just loved the taste of it. I don't even have to sift my powdered sugar with her recipe. (which is great since I hate to do that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

"Hands down" Indydebi's buttercream in my opinion. It crust very well, taste awesome and is a dream to smooth. I've got some in my mixer right now. I do make a couple of "changes" to the recipe that I think make it creamier and smoother. First of all I beat (pulverize) the crisco for at least 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. Second I warm my milk (I use half and half instead) before adding. After all of the ingredients have been added I walk away from my mixer and let it go. I usually let it mix for at least 20-30 minutes.

Not only is it an awesome icing, it holds up to extreme heat and humidity beautifully thumbs_up.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

I have to give a shout out as a devout Sugarshack BC user. Although I have not tried IndyDebi's recipe, so can't compare the two.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #5 of 8

I don't even know where mine came from other than my head I tweeked till I found what I liked and it is awesome!! I like to use half butter/half shortening to get better flavour and if you mix it long enough it still goes awfully white. If you want the recipe feel free to PM me. I also use SMBC but it does not smooth very easily not impossible but not easy.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 8

I am also a devout Sugarshack BC girl as well.. My second choice is Tonedna's BC.. hers is tasty.. I have been meaning to try Indydebi's BC.. Lots of raves on that one..

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 8

I have made this buttercream for years so I can't remember exactly where I got it from. One batch will ice a 2 layer 8" cake.

Cream 1/2 c shortening, 1/2 c butter, and 2 tsp clear vanilla together. Add 1 lb of powdered sugar a cup at a time, mixing well between each cup. The icing will get very stiff! About 3/4 through the lb add 1 tsp milk to loosen it up. Once you've added all of your sugar mix in milk 1 tsp at a time until you get the consistency you want. I usually leave it thicker for flowers and piping and a little thinner for icing under fondant.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsallii

I have made this buttercream for years so I can't remember exactly where I got it from. One batch will ice a 2 layer 8" cake.

Cream 1/2 c shortening, 1/2 c butter, and 2 tsp clear vanilla together. Add 1 lb of powdered sugar a cup at a time, mixing well between each cup. The icing will get very stiff! About 3/4 through the lb add 1 tsp milk to loosen it up. Once you've added all of your sugar mix in milk 1 tsp at a time until you get the consistency you want. I usually leave it thicker for flowers and piping and a little thinner for icing under fondant.

mine is very close to this one....in my town i'm known for my buttery icing...it is an ivory color tho....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%