Indydebi's Recipe - Water Instead Of Milk?

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 1:06am by Texas_Rose

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all! Indydebi's buttercream recipe sounds great, and I'm going to try it soon. With my current recipe, I use water instead of milk because I'm nervous about something with milk in it sitting out for long periods or overnight. Will indydebi's recipe work okay with water instead of milk?

thanks! Maria

10 replies
MariaK38 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 11

oh, I forgot to mention that I'll be using the icing for cupcakes. Will it work well with those, or is this recipe's main purpose to be used on cakes or under fondant?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 11

You don't need to worry about the milk in the icing. There is more than enough sugar to preserve it. Sugar preserves like salt. I leave my cakes and cupcakes made with SMBC and AMBC out all the time. And these recipes have butter.

And I have only used Indydeb's recipe once so far. I used milk. It was out for two to three days, no spoilage.

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 11

Maria...trust me...don't mess with the recipe. Follow the recipe as indydebi states....alteration will only cause problems. LOL!

MariaK38 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 11

thanks!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 11

I agree! DON'T mess with the recipe icon_lol.gif Use milk, NOT water. I always use this recipe and I NEVER refrigerate my cakes. I know for certain that this icing will keep at room temperature for at least two weeks. Probably longer but it never last any longer around my house.

Indydebi had a successful business for over 25 years. Do you think she would use milk in a recipe if there had been a reason to "be nervous about it sitting out for long periods or overnight"? I always use this recipe and I NEVER refrigerate my cakes. She has posted many times that she never refrigerates her cakes either. This icing does much better without being refrigerated and will be fine at room temperature. The sugar "preserves" the milk.

Anytime that I see threads that say something like "help, icing didn't turn out".or.."911...what did I do wrong" it's usually because someone didn't FOLLOW a recipe but rather made changes then wonder why it didn't turn out. This is an awesome recipe. It holds up great to extreme heat and humidity, crust very well and smooths beautifully. I use half and half instead of milk but I would NEVER use water in this recipe. Just fair warning so that you get the best results possible. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 11

And remember, water and oil (grease, etc.) do not mix. The fat in the milk or half and half like mamawrobin uses probably helps the icing to mix well together also.

The next time I use this frosting, I am making it exactly like mamawrobin says she does.

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #8 of 11

I use Indydebi's recipe, too, and never refrigerate my cakes. Never tried to make it with water, though. It's delish!!!

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 11

Eww...NO.

Try non dairy creamer.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #10 of 11

I used it two weeks ago for a bride who was having an outdoor wedding. I subbed water for milk and it worked just fine.

Minette

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #11 of 11

I substitute rum or bourbon for the milk fairly often and it works well. It crusts a little faster than usual though.

It is completely fine to leave it out with the milk though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%