Bubbles In My Icing

Baking By carolbby Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm by LindaF144a

carolbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolbby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 6

I'm using Antonias royal icing recipe and all my cookies have tons of air bubbles, what am I doing wrong? Please help!!!

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

Make it/thin it/tint it the night before you need it. Keep it on the counter with a damp/wrung-out tea-towel laid over-top of your bowl (NOT touching the icing itself.) Now cover the entire thing with a grocery store bag.

Leave it on the counter overnight. (Or about 8-10 hours if you can.)

When you uncover it the next day, you'll see all the air bubbles have risen to the surface and popped. It should be as smooth as glass and ready to use. Give it a few slow strokes with a spatula to make sure it's all smooth and even, then pipe away! thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:55am
post #3 of 6

....and when all else fails, keep a couple of toothpicks on hand and pop the bubbles after icing.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

I also don't mix my colour in or thin with a spoon. I like to use a wire wisk found on the end of an electric beater. It seems to create the fewest bubbles. Leaving overnight IS the best, but if you're like me, doing everything last minute, I find this works.
Then the few bubbles you do get, let them come to the top after flooding and pop with whatever you're using to guide the icing.

Arabus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arabus Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 6

Another thing to do is squeeze icing through one pipping bag into another, doing this you hear the bubbles popping and it comes out bubble free in new bag.
HTH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

....and when all else fails, keep a couple of toothpicks on hand and pop the bubbles after icing.

Oh yeah, or a little thin straight pin. Works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%