How Do American Cakes Always Look So Shiny

Decorating By kbaby Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm by Connie1027

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

just wondered because when I look at any american website or cake on flikr they always look slightly shiny and any black is glossy. Whereas the british cakes never do and look flat in comparrison
What do you use on your fondant to get that apearence

Thanks

7 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 8

Steam! Once the cake is done we use a steam machine (to press clothes) to attain the shinny finish on the cakes it is mostly done to eliminate the cornstarch or powder sugar residue on the cake.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 8

It could be from many different types of methods used here in the States. We use luster dust to paint on our cakes in a wet method or a dry method. Also alot of people have been steaming them with small hand held clothing steamers. This is be greatly influnence from the " Cake Boss" on T.V and his popular cakes show. I hope this helps. Happy Cake Decorting icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 8

It could also be the type of buttercream used. I noticed Seriouscakes cakes are shiny and she uses a buttercream that is part butter and part Crisco. In the book whimsical cakes, they use a 50/50 buttercream and they are shiny too.

Also could it be the photo itself? I just wonder if they are that shiny in person.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:11am
post #5 of 8

Sometimes it could just be a little bit of condensation if its a cold cake....

Airbrushed color can also give a slightly shiny, brightly colored appearance, as well as the stuff mentioned in the above posts.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 8

It could also be confectioners glaze.

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone. I never thought of steaming a cake. I thought the moisture would mark the fondant.
Ill give it a go.

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 8

The moisture can mark the fondant. I've tried using my steam iron to steam a cake, and had it spit out a few drops of water that left marks I couldn't get off. I changed the placement of my decorations to hide them. So be careful when using steam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%