Contest Idea?

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm by nana_marta

montanamommy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 19

I just had a though....may or may not be a good idea.

What if we did a contest where one spectacular cake was chosen and every contestant had to try to make that identical cake? Or some sort of funk twist on that?

Anyway just a thought.

Andrea

18 replies
all4cake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 19

maybe not a contest...maybe a cake of the month club....everyone who wants to can submit a spectacular cake. Someone not participating can take all the submitted designs, randomly pick one...that one will be the design for the month for everyone to attempt to duplicate or submit their take on it. or do it like the monthly cookie club...

You pick the first one, then, the first person to submit their's will chose the one for the following month.

yummy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 19

Sounds good. Maybe no pressure just something in every skill level to challenge us.

jewels710 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 19

Could be cool IF taken as strictly fun...otherwise it could turn into a who's better than who party!

all4cake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 19

Most definitely for fun, for a challenge, for an excuse to do something different...

I see it too, as an opportunity to possibly discuss, after closing submissions, any difficulties each other had or how-tos to share.

montanamommy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

Could be cool IF taken as strictly fun...otherwise it could turn into a who's better than who party!

Yeah thats true. I wouldn't want any hurt feelings.

yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 19

I hope we can start this after the fourth. It's only one day and who wants to make a holiday cake after the holiday is over. Hoping we can start with a theme that could happen at anytime of the year.

all4cake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:01am
post #8 of 19

Oh, I wasn't thinking theme cakes. I thought it was to be those incredibly awesome cakes we only dream of making and never get around to trying.

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:47am
post #9 of 19

Oh okay.

all4cake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 19

I don't know exactly what montanamommy had in mind. That is just what I thought she meant.

montanamommy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 19

What I had in mind was not necessarily to see who has better skill than others, but to take one cake in and see what everyone's interpretation of that cake would be. I guess it would be just a little more specialized than the current contests.

Instead of a theme like Spring or Fantasy or something like that, choose a cake and have people design their own cake around that inspiration....

I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but something along those lines. Its just a thought. I don't want something that would cause hard feelings between folks though.

Andrea

nana_marta Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 19

actually we do this sort of thing in our scrapbooking club. The interpretations are amazing. Everyone has their own style and skill set that is used. No winners or losers, just fun.

all4cake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 19

Montanamommy, do you have one in mind already?

montanamommy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 19

Actually while I was looking thru the galleries I had another thought.

What if we took a picture of a really fab cake and cropped it down to just some of the detail work on it and people could use that for inspiration? We could make is to they have to use those particular details in their cake and those particular colors.

I have a photo I found for an example but I'm not sure how to post it......help?

all4cake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 19

copy and paste the link. or highlight the image, right click, scroll down to properties, then, copy and paste that link or, click post reply (left side just below last post) then upload an image from your puter or paste the link in there from the internet, highlight and click on img. then submit.

( I really liked your original idea icon_smile.gif )

KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 19

I always see posts how people are inspired by everyday items and turn them into cake. I think it would be really cool to do something with that.

Say, for instance this box of tissues

http://blog.kaluinteriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pshot_designer3.jpg
......and then have everyone come up with a cake design based off of it!

I'll bet you would get all sorts of things...tiered cakes, sheet cakes, square cakes, round cakes, etc. all with completely different skill sets.

montanamommy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

( I really liked your original idea icon_smile.gif )

Ok so going with the original idea of interpreting someone elses work, here is a cake that I ADORE!!!!

Let me know what you think about using this as an inspirational cake to work from (provided the decorator gives her/his permission)

By CAKE_goodness

montanamommy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I always see posts how people are inspired by everyday items and turn them into cake. I think it would be really cool to do something with that.

Say, for instance this box of tissues

http://blog.kaluinteriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pshot_designer3.jpg
......and then have everyone come up with a cake design based off of it!

I'll bet you would get all sorts of things...tiered cakes, sheet cakes, square cakes, round cakes, etc. all with completely different skill sets.

Ooh, thats a neat idea too. There are so many ways this could go!

nana_marta Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 19

While I do like your original idea A LOT, the kleenex box one is a good idea too. Aren't we always being given something to design a cake from- invitations, napkins,fliers........ maybe we could somehow incorporate the two ideas? Or interchange them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%