Long Fondant Ribbon

Decorating By korean Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 3:50am by dsilvest

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 11

I have seen a lot of Fondant Ribbon on the bottom of cakes- how do you do this? I am able to do this on smaller cakes, but don't know how to roll out and attach on for larger 8 inch and up cakes. First, how do you get the fondant long enough- I run out of counter space. Meaning how do you roll out a 40 inch piece for a 10 inch square. how do you get this on with out tearing and twirsting? I really want to learn how to do this because I would love my cakes to be all edible.

10 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 11

I roll it out the length of my table. (If you are doing a large square, you can always join two pieces at the corner. Nobody sees that! Just a little dab of water and the edges stick together perfectly, nice and sharp.)

I use a pizza cutter and a yard stick to measure out long strips of equal widths.

When I go to apply them on the cake, I roll them up carefully into a spool. I then take the end piece and stick it to the cake, unrolling as I go around. works like a charm! No stretching, denting, etc. thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 11

Yup, that is exactly what I do! Either piece them together or roll it up and unroll it onto the cake. Piecing is easier and most people don't see the seam but the other way, while more challenging to get on without any breakage, is a cleaner look. I have one to do in July that is a 12 inch square...not looking forward to it! LOL!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 11

My fondant always sticks to itself when I roll it up. Ugh.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #5 of 11

Kitagrl..you have to make sure it's well dusted with PS before rolling otherwise it will stick like the dickens!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Kitagrl..you have to make sure it's well dusted with PS before rolling otherwise it will stick like the dickens!

I'm always afraid the pwdr sugar will make it look nasty once its on....

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I'm always afraid the pwdr sugar will make it look nasty once its on....

I dust it with cornstarch and once it is on the cake I rub it with crisco to remove the cornstarch and give it a nice finish. The crisco will eventually absorb into the fondant...I do that on alot of my fondant cakes. I learned that trick from Sugarshack icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 11

thanks for the tips, in the past I have the long strip hanging off the cake while trying to get it on the cake & it would always rip. definitely going to try the roll-up method next time.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #9 of 11

I've just recently gotten successful at the strip. I dust it well w/ cornstarch before I roll it up and after it's on, I brush off the excess with a soft brush. Then, I'll either wash with vodka, or if there are lots of strips, I'll steam it.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #10 of 11

I like to use modeling chocolate or combination of fondant/modeling chocolate for ribbons - it doesn't strech or rip! If you roll it out, cut it, cover it for a few hours it will stiffen up and be a lot easier to handle than fondant. If I'm in a rush I put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to firm up. I dust it, roll it up too, and unroll around the cake.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #11 of 11

I use my pasta roller to roll out long strips of fondant. It allows me to get an even thickness to the long strips. I also roll the long strip up and then unroll it as I attach it to the cake. You can use a water pen filled with your adheasive to run a line around the cake. You can find them at a stationary store. They are used to glue envelopes shut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%