White Chocolate Ganache...what Kind/brand Do You Use??

Baking By tinygoose Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm by 3LittleBeesCookies

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 44

I know there's a lot of thread out there about how to make it, and I've got the recipe. I made it the other night with white chocolate chips (Nestle), and it was ok, maybe a bit grainy. I was just wondering if there is a preferred white chocolate that everyone uses....chips, melts, bar? What brand do you like?

I don't really have the time or $$ to experiment much. I using a 3:1 ratio.

Also wondering do you whip or just stir before spreading on the cake, the stuff I made was too think to crumb coat with, so I had to whip it a bit.

TIA

43 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 44

I use E. Guittard chocolate. any couveture chocolate will give you better results.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I use E. Guittard chocolate. any couveture chocolate will give you better results.

Do you mind my asking what is couveture chocolate? I have heard of it but not sure what it is.
thanks,
terri

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 44

You can buy the candy melts at Michael or AC Moore. They are very reasonable, melt smooth - not necessarily a gourmet quality, but it will work.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

You can buy the candy melts at Michael or AC Moore. They are very reasonable, melt smooth - not necessarily a gourmet quality, but it will work.

But they're NOT chocolate. I use Baker's White Chocolate squares. I also use them in my fondant. I bought the Hershey's Premier White Chips but they're about like using candy melts.

tinygoose Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #6 of 44

Well the store was a disappointment. They had Guittard, but not in white. No white in the Bakers chocolate either. The only one they had was Ghiradelli bars in white (has cocoa butter in it, but no idea how much) and two kinds of white chips (you're right! no cocoa butter in those.)

Sooo 4oz of Ghiradelli at $3.99 a bar or 11 oz of white choc. chips at $3.59 a bag......hmmmm..... well I bought some of both. This is a family cake at a "family rate" so I'm not really all excited about spending $40 on chocolate.

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I better look into buying it online...any fav sources? When I was a kid they used to sell broken blocks of the stuff at Safeway, but I don't see it anymore.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:11am
post #7 of 44

mamawrobin you said you use chocolate in fondant & what do you use it for or does it become like clay. Just curious?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:31am
post #8 of 44

Yep, sad but true. I can't afford "real" white chocolate like Bakers so my family and friends will have to settle for Nestle or Ghiradelli chips. No one's complained yet icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #9 of 44

I found this site - everything you wanted to know about ganache. http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

tinygoose Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 44

msulli10 the link didn't post?

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Yep, sad but true. I can't afford "real" white chocolate like Bakers so my family and friends will have to settle for Nestle or Ghiradelli chips. No one's complained yet icon_smile.gif

Ghirardelli is real, so you have been giving your family the good stuff! It's Nestle, Hershey's, candy melts, and store brand white chocolate that is flavoring, hydro oils, etc. But, I think they are ok to use in a pinch!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #12 of 44
Quote:

Ghirardelli is real, so you have been giving your family the good stuff! It's Nestle, Hershey's, candy melts, and store brand white chocolate that is flavoring, hydro oils, etc. But, I think they are ok to use in a pinch!

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #13 of 44

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they usually sell broken blocks of Ghiradelli white chocolate that is reasonably priced.

laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #14 of 44

there is a website that sells chocolate for the chocolate fountains and other uses it is call the chocolate savant and they r not to high on price! hope it helps!!!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #15 of 44

Sorry for the double post. Trader Joe's also has real white chocolate chips that are their brand, which are good. I prefer to chop up a bar for ganache, but you can make them w/chips. I find the ganache to not be as smooth when made w/ chips tho.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #16 of 44

Wasn't sure exactly what is considered 'real' white chocolate, so found a definition.
http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/zonis/white_chocolate.htm
White chocolate, as most of you know, isnt real chocolate at all. Why not? Real chocolate must contain cocoa solids (the dry solids that give it both brown color and a good deal of flavor). White chocolate contains cocoa butter, milk powder, sugar, and, often, flavorings (vanilla is a popular one).

The FDA finally authorized a standard of identity for white chocolate, effective 1 January, 2004; real white chocolate must contain at least 20% cocoa butter, 14% milk solids, and 3.5% milk fat. It cannot contain more than 55% sugar or other nutritive carbohydrate sweeteners.

[...]Real white chocolate contains no vegetable fat other than cocoa butter. It is a creamy, off-white color with a yellowish cast to it. Confectionery coating, often seen in wafers, is pure white.

[...]chocolate is quite heat-sensitive. White chocolate is especially so, and great care must be taken during the melting process to avoid scorching it.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikadodle

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they usually sell broken blocks of Ghiradelli white chocolate that is reasonably priced.

Ughh I wish! My local one doesn't, and I'm in there EVERY Tues so that would be convenient!

I've found larger bags of Guittard at Cost Plus World Market (of all places) for $4/bag (on sale right now for $2/bag) which is palm oil AND cocoa butter, which will suffice!

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:22am
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika

mamawrobin you said you use chocolate in fondant & what do you use it for or does it become like clay. Just curious?

No it's not like clay it's just white chocolate fondant. I make Michele Foster's fondant recipe and 99% of the time I make the white chocolate version because it taste so very good. The chocolate also adds pliability to the fondant.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:25am
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

Quote:

These are the ones I use, http://www.ghirardelli.com/products/chips_white.aspx Sadly not so real, no mention of cocoa butter to be had and notice they say "white chips" nothing about "chocolate" Oh well, like I said, no complaints icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #20 of 44
Quote:

Ghiradelli chips aren't that bad..I don't mind using those but I don't care for the Nestle or Hershey's chips. As far as cost....I can get a 6 ounce of Bakers White Chocolate for $1.90 at Wal-Mart. Haven't found it that cheap anywhere else though. I buy a case at a time. thumbs_up.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Ghiradelli chips aren't that bad..I don't mind using those but I don't care for the Nestle or Hershey's chips. As far as cost....I can get a 6 ounce of Bakers White Chocolate for $1.90 at Wal-Mart. Haven't found it that cheap anywhere else though. I buy a case at a time. thumbs_up.gif

I was so excited to check my local Wally world after u mentioned this...to no avail icon_sad.gif Wonder if they'll do site-to-store for this... icon_wink.gif hehehe

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #22 of 44

Sorry about the post - try this
www.baking911.com/ganache_truffles.htm

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #23 of 44

I guess it keeps getting blocked.

baking911.com/ganache_truffles.htm

just put a www in front of it.

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #24 of 44

Okay, one last time - the baking911 keeps getting blocked.

it's www. then: baking911 and then .com/ganache_truffles.htm

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #25 of 44

I apologize for this, but as you can see I can't type in the link because it keeps getting blocked. The website is Baking 911 but when you type it out there is no space between the 2 words.
I hope you can figure it out since it's a really helpful link regarding ganache, including white and dark chocolate.

msulli10 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #26 of 44

Okay, cake central - you win. I will not attempt to write out the name of the website. Really - there is no competition, just a helpful site regarding ganache!
Sorry I took up so many posts.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #27 of 44

look for these ghiradelli baking bars:

http://www.ghirardelli.com/products/bars_white.aspx

I've seen then in WallyWorld and more upscale grocery stores.

(and Sam's sometimes has them during Christmas holiday season)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #28 of 44

No problem, msulli10.
Several site URLs are blocked by cake central due to lawyer requests.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #29 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

What the heck? At my local Walmarts (There's three in a 15 mile radius!) the 6oz of Baker's is around 2.90!!! And I usually need around 24oz if I'm doing ganache at 3:1 so they're usually out of my price range icon_sad.gif

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #30 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What the heck? At my local Walmarts (There's three in a 15 mile radius!) the 6oz of Baker's is around 2.90!!! And I usually need around 24oz if I'm doing ganache at 3:1 so they're usually out of my price range icon_sad.gif

Yep, that was the price today at my Walmart. I bought it anyways and I do prefer it over nestle. I use ganache as the crumbcoat for all of my cakes, so if they prefer white chocolate over semi-sweet/dark, then they can pay the difference! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%