Steaming Fondant (Like On Cake Boss)

Decorating By cakesbyamber Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm by cakesbyamber

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 5

On Cake Boss he always steams his finished fondant cakes and it seems to make them shiney and glossy. Has anyone done this or know more about why he does it? Or does anyone know how to make your fondant look this way, mine always looks dry and matte. Thanks!

4 replies
andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

I recently started steaming mine. It helps dissolve any cornstarch/powdered sugar residue and gives the cake a beautiful shine. I purchased a $35 clothes steamer from Target and it has worked great so far with the exception of the occasional water spitting. :p

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 5

How long do you steam it for - just a few seconds?
Can you do this with fondant decorations on a buttercream cake or does the entire cake have to be covered in fondant?

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

I just steam it for a few seconds or until the cake looks "clean". I hold the steamer just below the base of the cake and let the steam rise instead of aiming it directly toward the cake.
Good question about the fondant accents. I probably wouldn't attempt to steam buttercream. I usually brush my accents (such as polka dots, stripes, etc.) with vodka to clean them up. Someone else probably has a more professional answer for you. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%