Looking Into Buying An Edible Printer

Decorating By kutabby Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 3:14am by icingimages

kutabby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 8

I don't know anything about them, so any suggestions would be helpful!!!

7 replies
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

I'm interested also. I will be watching this topic with interest. I haven't begun to research this, but hopefully it has been discussed before here on CC. I always start there when I research something.

I just had to add that your topic wording was hysterical. I had visions of finding a printer that one could eat! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif It puts me in the mood for chocolate, because in my mind edible printers are made out of chocolate.

lisamenz Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

Ladies I hope this helps you. I have used my edible photos sheets for years and had wonderful luck with my photo machine. I just love what you can do and how creative you can get, if you think outside the box. It makes your work, creative, easy and fun. I have done alot of buying from Photofrost.com. They have always had great customer service. Any question, call them or let me know. Always glad to help. Many people here have help me alot also. Happy Decorating icon_wink.gif

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

Lisamenz, I just looked at your website and you have some beautiful and awesome cakes.

lisamenz Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

WELL, Thank you very much, I really appreciate that compliment. I am always in awe of all the great artist in this business and am always striving to be as good as so many here on this site and in the beautiful magazines. Again thank you , that was very sweet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you have any questions I can help with on this subject. I have had mine for 10 years. I love it. Be glad to help thumbs_up.gif

jewelsq Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 8

There is a whole new forum here on icingimages. There are also tons of helpful threads if you do a search.

LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by jewelsq

There is a whole new forum here on icingimages. There are also tons of helpful threads if you do a search.

Thank you both for your help. Jewelsq - I did not know there was a new forum for icing images.

Lisa - Beautiful cakes. You are one of the professionals.

icingimages Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #8 of 8

Yes, I can answer questions for you there or here!!! But in choosing a printer, there are two different major brands out there. The Epson and the Canon. I have used Canon's for over 10 years and I am partial to them only because you can remove that printhead in them. More recently we begun using a new ink, our Gold Label Ink that has a spongeless cartridge. We are getting the best quality pictures I have ever seen an edible printer produce. Now I mess with all sorts of printers as I have to stay on top of the latest and greatest. This Gold Label Ink Cartridges being spongeless give you more ink per tank and are easily refilled directly in the printer. So Loving this ink, having no major clogging issues I decided to try it in Epson. Canon is awesome, but I was never satisfied with their wide format printers. They were always a bit finicky and they used a lot of cartridges. I tried different Epsons, but was only satisfied with one, the Epson Workforce 1100. This printer is durable and seems to hold up well. So this Canon girl who recommends either the Canon ip3600 or the Canon MP560 for prints that are 8.5x13.5 or smaller. The large wide format, go with the Epson 1100.

As for icing sheets, we carry three different brands only because many people live in different climates and so there are different likes and dislikes. The House brand we carry is similar to KK and photoforst. It is the thinnest and thus the most finiky. It is harder to peal, and can dry out quicker, but it is the thinnest. The second brand and my previous favorite is the Lucks. It is a bit thicker, is just like the edible images you purchase that are preprinted at the stores. It is a bit more durable. Finally, and by far my favorite is the Premium brand. This is the thickets, but not too thick. It is the has the largest printing area available and tastes the best. But it has the ez-peal backing that holds up to all climates and doesnt fall apart or become brittle as quicly as others. Infact, I was talking to Tobias from Atwoods bakery who asked, does it ever become brittle!!!! It is awesome paper. Oh, and it is the only paper that comes in Chocolate flavor!!!

Finally and just as important as everything I mentioned above, the company you choose must be reliable and there for you to answer questions or handle concerns. So I would suggest you call a few companies and ask them to print you up a sample. Compare products and the differences will be easily seen!!! We will be displaying our products at ICES this year in San Diego. We will have live hands on demos so you can try things out for yourself.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%