Step By Step Cake Decorating..

Decorating By ysevilla Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm by yummy

ysevilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysevilla Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

hello everyone,
i love to bake cakes, and now I am trying to make more fondant cakes.
I am just wondering why I am always having a problem in covering cakes in fondant.
Can anyone tell me a step by step procedure in covering cakes with fondant? like from crumb coating till covering it with fondant..(more on how long before doing the next step)
for example, after crumb coating how long should I wait till I do a second coating using buttercream and then how long should I chill the cake before covering it with fondant?
I feel like maybe I have timing problems..
thank you!

6 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 7

The big thing now is putting ganache on your cakes under the fondant. You get a smoother finish and your fondant has crisp edges.

In the how do I forum there is a sticky on tutorials for just about anything you want to make. There is also a thread in the cake decorating forum on page one or two titled something along the line of "Never using bc under fondant again" . Try these, all your questions will be answered. HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 7

Crumb coat
Let crust
Smooth crumb coat
Final coat
Let crust
Smooth final coat
Apply fondant

If too much time lapses between letting the final coat crust and applying fondant, you may have problems getting the fondant to stick.

At which point are you having problems and what are the details of the problem?

ysevilla Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for replying..
so when I let the cake crust, should I just let it sit at room temp? or should I put it in the fridge?
coz whenever I put the fondant after a few minutes, the fondant looks moist.(maybe bec the cake came from the fridge..

ysevilla Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 7

Thank to "yummy" I will be reading the forum about ganache..
thanks

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 7

This was very helpful for me too, i have never had a problem covering in fondant, but the ganache info was very helpful.. THANKS YUMMY!!!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

You all are so welcome good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%