Hot Sun Icing

Baking By chris93chris93 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm by Skidoochic

chris93chris93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris93chris93 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am wondering what I can add to my bc to make it stand up to warm a area ? Do I want to not use butter or maybe 1/2 the amount? Its for a wedding cake. maybe powdered egg whites?

2 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 3

Sugar Shack and Indydebi's recipes are more stable for outside events (100% shortning) but there is nothing made of sugar that will hold up in direct sun for too long. Sugar melts, just the nature of the beast.

If it is going to be in the shade you will have more display time (as long as you don't have heat sensative fillings) but if at all possible, keep the cake in an a/c building until absolutely necessary.

I have historically used a 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortning recipe w/ meringue powder added and still had the icing melt due to heat. Like sugar, butter melts.

HTH.

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 3

I used Indydebi's recipe last weekend (90 degrees out) and it held up good. One layer of the layer started sucking up the frosting and showing through - I'm not sure if that was something I did or if it was where the sun was hitting the cake. It sat out from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%