Mtv Cake

Decorating By lilerintron Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm by dinascakes

lilerintron Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new at this whole decorating cakes thing, but I like it and it gives me a break from the real world. I'm a military wife overseas, my husband is deployed for another 3 months and my kids are back in the states visiting with grandma... so when I was asked to do a cake for an 80's themed birthday party of course I said yes!! Now I'm thinking, what did I get myself into?!

I literally have no idea where to start.. I mean, I can see it in my head, I just don't know how to make it real.

She wants the MTV logo, in black and electric pink, MMF if I can do it, if not that's fine.

At first I was thinking of carving the M and wrapping it in black fondant, then doing a marble effect with a small amount of black, some blue, yellow and the e. pink and laying a thin layer of that MMF just on the top of the M. Then carving out the TV logo and placing it on top. Then dusting some disco luster dust (small amount) onto part of it.

Now my worry is that I've never put fondant on anything other than a circle, and with the M shape I'm afraid I'll mess it all up! So my plan is now to make black icing and perhaps mixing a hint of the disco dust in that and still do the marble layer of MMF on the top.

Does this at all sound like it may work... or am I in way over my head????

Thank you for reading and thanks for ANY advice that may come my way!

4 replies
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

perhaps as zebra stripes?

could do electric pink buttercream base and then can lay on black in narrow sections and shape to cake easier
LL

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

I would steer clear of the black buttercream.

What about cutting out the M in black fondant, laying it on top of the iced cake, then cut a LOOOOOONGGGGGGGG strip of black fondant the same width as the height of the cake and run it like a ribbon along the whole outside of the M shape?? You would just have 1 seam which you could have be at one corner edge of the M shape.

Then just lay the pink zebra striping on top of the black M

lilerintron Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 5

Hmm.. that may work KHalstead!

Thank you for the visual Doug.. that was pretty awesome! I love the blue and yellow just on the TV part.

Cross your fingers for me! It's going to be along weekend. icon_lol.gif

dinascakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

I did an 80's themed cake, but it was more than just the Mtv logo. But I did top it off with the Mtv made of MMF. Check it out in my pics, if you want. It's got all kinds of things from the 80's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%