Product Used To Make Ocean Water

Decorating By sheilasite Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm by pattycakes55d

sheilasite Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:52am
post #1 of 7

Hi - does anybody know what the name of the product is that a lot of cake decorators use to make what looks like a gel that is tinted blue to replicate
oceans and water?


6 replies
tokazodo Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:00am
post #2 of 7

I've seen some cakes that have had wilton piping gel tinted blue.


Although I have never personally used it.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #3 of 7

Yes. Tinted piping gel works great. You can buy piping gel at most Wal-Mart's for just under $3.00 for a 10 ounce carton.

leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 7

Late one night, with no piping gel in the house, I tinted corn syrup blue and used that.

ddaigle Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 7

Leah..I actually found a recipe for piping gel that I want to try (someday). 99% of it (4cups!) is corn syrup. I bet the consistancy was better that store bought stuff.

pattycakes55d Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:04am
post #6 of 7

Piping gel is great. I have used it in jungle themed cakes. Just add a small amount of gel color to start and then build from there. Put it on the cake where you want it and let it crust over. Voila. good luck.

pattycakes55d Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 7

Leah - corn syrup sounds great. I ran out of piping gel and I don't want to go out and get some. How does it set/dry?

Quote by @%username% on %date%