Home Based Cake Decorators...long

Decorating By FleurDeCake Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm by FleurDeCake

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:59am
post #1 of 17

I am a home based cake decorator . I am aware that in many states as in Louisiana ,where I live, that is not legal to sell cakes from a home kitchen. I know that where I live there are MANY MANY people selling cakes from their homes , we have only 2 legitimate cake shoppes other than Wal-Mart and grocery stores. So my question is , how did you promote your business, did you advertise in some way or do you rely solely on word of mouth . I realize that this post will open me up to a plethra of criticism from all of you professionals that have worked so hard to get your Custom Cake shops going , but we alll have to start somewhere and I find it difficult to believe that before opening a licensed shop none of you stepped up to sell a cake from yopur kitchen. We had a decorator in my town that was well known for doing just about everyones wedding cake , and not ever did she have a licensed kithcen though her business grew to be quite profitable and remained succesful until the day she passed away. I would love to have licensed cake shop however I don' yet have the customer base needed to support a shop. I am willing to keep practicing and working and doing whatever it takes to perfect my skills and learn all I need to learn ,cake dcorating is my passion and I believe we all should pursue our passion.So if any of you could please offer some advice on how I can get more business I would so appreciate any and all input . Thank you so very much.

16 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:51am
post #2 of 17

Don't know where you are, but it's 2:50 am here in SD....

Only night owl/or really early riser U.S. members are still online/online right now, but you might be able to catch some members in other time zones.

Here are previous threads on this subject:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614264.html

HTH

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:54am
post #3 of 17

Have you checked into using a certified kitchen and trying to rent it out to do it legally? What I do ( which is very little) is all by word of mouth. I also don't have a problem saying no if I don't have the time since I work full time about 70 miles from home. For me this is just a hobby and mainly to do this for my kids and grandkids as well as nieces and nephews. I do a few for outsider friends but anymore it is rare.

FleurDeCake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:58am
post #4 of 17

thanks cake r and Janh I do know that it is 4am ... but I also can see that my ost has been viewed about 60 times .Thank you for your input I will check back periodically and refernce the post you mentioned

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:54am
post #5 of 17

I live in Louisiana as well, and most folks I know who are "well known" for making cakes in their homes do so based on word of mouth.

I only bake for family and friends and have had a few people ask if I did it for others, and I've always been too unsure in my abilities to take that step and venture outsite...I would love to open a bakery, but that would be waaaay out in the future!

In response to your question, though, here are a few ideas:
-Increase your prices by about 10% and offer existing customers a discount on future orders and for references to new customers who order a cake from you
-Tape a card or place a sticker on your cake board with your name and number

Good luck!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 17

Am I understanding your post correctly?
You understand it is illegal to bake from home but want advice on how to do it anyway since there are so many others that do it and everyone has to start somewhere?

If this is the case then I don't think you should anticipate many responses since this topic always opens up a can of worms and the threads turn very ugly.

And just something to keep in mind -there are plenty of people that will turn in an unlicensed decorator and you could lose everything.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 17

Wow...My advice is don't operate an illegal business.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

thumbs_up.gif

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 17

Hi. I'm in Louisiana also. I believe in some parishes you can get a detached kitchen licensed, so if you have a garage or shed you could look into outfitting it for a shop.

I know I see PLENTY people advertising on Facebook (even awful cakes, lol). I would just do word of mouth, but I would be way to nervous since it is against the law. But then again my skill level isn't that high to even contemplate selling.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 17

Firstly I would recommend renting out a kitchen space-maybe a local church or community center would rent it to you? This way you can have a licensed kitchen space ONLY when you need it and wont have the expenses of your own shop. Secondly if you are going to be an illegal business (which I'm sure you're aware of consequences) I think the safest way to do it is by word of mouth. Host a party at your house-make an awesome cake and put out cards. Drop the fact that you do cakes into every day conversations-this is how I get alot of friends of friends wanting me to do cakes. You could offer to do church event cakes and then people would be able to see your work. It's all about getting yourself out there.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 17

post ads on craigslist.org, projectwedding.com

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernswthrt

I live in Louisiana as well, and most folks I know who are "well known" for making cakes in their homes do so based on word of mouth.

I only bake for family and friends and have had a few people ask if I did it for others, and I've always been too unsure in my abilities to take that step and venture outsite...I would love to open a bakery, but that would be waaaay out in the future!

In response to your question, though, here are a few ideas:
-Increase your prices by about 10% and offer existing customers a discount on future orders and for references to new customers who order a cake from you
-Tape a card or place a sticker on your cake board with your name and number

Good luck!

Although im not in Louisiana, i think you just gave her the best advice available, its what i would have wrote had you not already said it.. You might also post it on your your FB if you have one....I get alot of feed back through FB, but i only bake for family and friends, im not that great and am still learning every day from great ppl like you Vsouthernswthrt...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

I'll third that. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have a huge problem with anyone who says, "I know it's wrong/illegal, but everyone else is doing it, so I'm going to do it, too." icon_mad.gif

That's just a rationalization to use when caught--it's called "Misery loves miserable company" and I taught my kids NOT to do it when they were 3 or 4 years old. icon_cool.gif

With the right word to the wrong person, this could cost a lot......................
And people who offer advice on how to to it are "aiding and abetting an illegal activity or crime"................................

Rae

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 17

Hi cakemeasurprise ~ A business plan and market research will help you assess the potential success and risks of operating a legitimate bakery and/or cake shop. Best of luck with your endeavors! (HTH!) icon_smile.gif

FleurDeCake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you so much for all of the constructive input,I appreciate your response.

FleurDeCake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 17

to....cakesbycathy
costumeczar
sadsmiles and
blakescakes......
I do appreciate your responses and I understand all of the ramifications of operating my cake business without a license. I am not 3 years old and I consider my self to be an intelligent person . I respect the fact that you all have worked extremely hard to get your businesses going . I am just trying to find a starting place to work at something I am passioanate about while at the same time working hard to support myself and my family . We all do what we have to do. I will be exploring the possibilities of renting kitchen space and also building a shoppe on my property to start a small LEGAL business. Thanks guys I will keep you posted on my progress .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%