Fresh Flowers On Wedding Cakes

Business By Debana Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 2:22am by Jennifer1970

Debana Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 16

I have a customer who wants fresh flowers for her wedding cake. My question is which flowers are non toxic. I have looked on line and have seen some flowers in the toxic category and then in another article they are called safe.

How can I be sure and any ideas will be welcome icon_confused.gif

15 replies
terrylee Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 16

Most flowers are safe...roses, carns, hydranga, I have used cali lilies too...if you are in doubt or don't feel comfortable with a flower use the flower pics or straw to cover and protect the stems from touching the cake....I think you should have more of a concern with the toxic sprays that some florist might use...if in doubt, rinse them off.

glow0369 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #3 of 16

sometimes it is not only if the flower itself is poisoous, it's the pesticides used to get that flower to perfection. Unless they are grown organically, there is pesticide residue. I have used Stargazer lilies in the past and they are toxic... But just try to make sure that the stem ends are wrapped up so no juices from stemmed end leak, and they really should not touch the cake.I put other organic flowers such as roses closer to the cake than the more toxic ones . And people like to eat flowers, so it is important that you let them know Not to eat certain flowers. Some flowers are more toxic than others. Some would say that the toxicity levels are low , and fondant will protect the cake... hhhmmm

Bfisher2 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #4 of 16

Actually Hydranga produces natural cyanide....beautiful as they are, why take a chance..... no fresh without proper floral pics and holders....icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 16

Calla lillies are poisonous too.

tesso Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 16

stargazer lilies are poisonous too.. and.., star of Bethlehem, lily of the valley, tulips, and daffodils.

a little FYI so are ferns for three weeks out of the year.. they produce cyanide.

Can you guess that I used to work in a florist shop for a few years, and studied Botany in college? icon_lol.gif there are a lot of plants and flowers that are poisonous. The MAJOR thing is.. WHAT PART of the plant is poisonous and WHEN it is poisonous. That is why so many websites have their info misconstrewed. THey list the plant as poisonous but fail to mention that is only the bulb. OR after the plant has gone to seed. Or only the dead petals .. etc..

Cakechick123 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:54am
post #7 of 16

hydrangeas are toxic, as are calla lilies. I wont allow fresh ones near my cakes, even if they are wrapped or in flower pics!

you can get beautiful gumpaste and silk ones, why take a chance on someone getting sick!

On this site there is a list of poisonous flowers compiled by a cake decorator
http://bsguk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1154
HTH

leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 16

terrylee, sorry, but you're way off base. Most flowers have some part that is - at the very least - NOT food safe. And most florist flowers have been grown with pesticides, fungicides and have been treated with chemical "hardeners" that help keep them fresh.

Per my contract, brides must choose flowers - with the advice of their florist - (see, I'm throwing some liability) that will be safe. And all flower stems must be in a holder or wrapped if they are going on the cake.

glow0369 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 16

hhmmm I eat organic tulip petals out of my garden all the time. They taste like sweet lettuce. Some people do have a strong allergic reaction to tulips though...

tracycakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:44am
post #10 of 16

When my bride wants fresh flowers, I usually put them on the cake the myself, but there are certain flowers that won't go on the cake, hydrangeas, and calla lilies being 2 of them. I was looking at some cakes today and I was amazed at how many had fresh hydrangeas. Heck, even the florists give me hydrangeas to put on the cakes.

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 16

Not only are hydrangeas not food safe, they wilt really fast. They might look nice when they're put on the cake , but by the time the cake is cut they're going to be sad and wilty.

Even if a flowers isn't toxic, would you want to drink the water that the stems have been sitting in? If not, why would you want to put them on the cake? I'm not a fan of fresh flowers on cakes, can you tell? If I do them I put them on, not the florist, and I use a big glob of icing to stick them onto the cake, never put the stems into the cake itself. Gross.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #12 of 16

Once you determine if a flower is safe, I suggest using flower picks or straws anyway. Aren't flowers usually in water with some kind of tablets to keep them fresh at the florists? Even if just in water, I would think the cake would absorb any liquid left from the flower stem; therefore, absorbing any residue on the flower stem itself.

I was at a wedding this past weekend (I did NOT do the cake) in which the cake had fresh carnations, painted maroon, and greenery stuck into the cake with no straws or picks. It looked as though the baker ordered a bouquet from the florist and used all of it randomly over the cake. Just to look at all the flowers and greenery stuck into it made my stomach turn. Then when the painted carnations were removed you could see that the flowers had bled onto the icing. YUCK! icon_eek.gif

edited for a typo.

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:52am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofourmonkeys

Then when the painted carnations were removed you could see that the flowers had bled onto the icing. YUCK! icon_eek.gif

edited for a typo.





Yum! icon_eek.gif

Mindy1975 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 16

I just don't allow them on the cake.........PERIOD. Problem solved. I can't even find a florist around here who can provide pesticide free flowers. SO I just have a strict rule that only silk flowers can be used. Because if someone gets sick from my cake because of the flowers......I will get the blame.....not some florist who isn't going to take the blame because she put some lame a$$ poisonious flowers on my cake that the bride just had to have. lol If you have enough time to shop around, you can get some very nice silk flowers online that look just as good as the real thing. I wouldn't take the chance. It's not worth it.

rosiecast Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #15 of 16

I'm with costume. not a big fan of real flowers on cakes. It has always scared me a little.

Jennifer1970 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #16 of 16

I have used fresh flowers on wedding cakes, actually prefer them. If you have a Whole Foods near you, their florist sells pesticide free flowers. I have only used roses, ivy, astrolmeria and greenery. I use the Wilton flower picks, and the flower holder for the topper. I do tell the brides that of course the flowers shouldn't be eaten. I would never put carnations on a wedding cake - besides the coloring they are just a cheap "prom" flower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%