What To Make These Letters Out Of?

Decorating By Kaybaby Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm by emily42897

Kaybaby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I posted recently regarding a 50th birthday cake I am making for my best friends older brother and sister. My friend sent me these initials. She wants one on the 5 and one on the 0. She doesn't care if they are edible or not. One will be baby pink and one baby blue to match the cake. The party isn't for a couple of weeks, I would like to make them now and get them out of the way. Any suggestions? The will be approx. 3.5".

Thanks so much,

8 replies
Kaybaby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 9

This is the cake she likes. It will be blue and pink. Initials instead of the flowers.

leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 9

gumpaste and the Cricut or a sharp Xacto.

Jayde Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 9

It depends on what you want your medium to be. GP and an exacto like Leahs said would work great.

But you could do it with chocolate and create a chocolate transfer. Just reverse your letter and print it to the appropriate size and then pipe away with some melted chocolate on top of some wax paper. I love CT's they are so easy and they come out cleanly.

You have to be careful of breakage though, but once you get it on the cake I havent ever had a problem.

Kaybaby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for the suggestions. I thought about TC's. We have been hovering around 105 degrees here and it's only getting hotter. I worry the chocolate would melt.

The cricut is great. Sure wish I owned one. I'm terrible at freehand, I would love to use gumpaste, but I'm afraid it will look like crap. I've considered making them out of styrofoam. I'm not nearly as talented as the women/men on this board. My options are limited.

Linliv46 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

I would use gumpaste and make it into a long rope--put a piece of wax paper over the letters and form it that way. Make it thick enough so you can work a floral wire into it and let it dry! You can do this way ahead of time! That is how I do mine and I would love to know what font that is! Any idea?

Kaybaby Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 9

The fonts are different. The "L" is CAC Lasko condensed. The "M" is CAC Champagne.

I'm going to work on the gumpaste. I hope I can shape it well.

Jayde Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 9

I find fondant with tylose is easier to work with if you are making ropes and then shaping them. I do that all the time too. Use a litte tylose and water as glue and start shaping. Use the paper as a template to size and to help you shape. You can make the ropes very thin or as thick as you want. A cly extruder would come in handy if you have one.

emily42897 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 9

When I do letters like this I cut them out of paper, lay them on my gum paste and cut around the paper with the exacto knife. Just my preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%