Familys Sick Of Cake...

Lounge By JayyBugg Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm by cabecakes

JayyBugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayyBugg Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 17

kay so the fam says theyre tired of cakes but i love making them to relax me and for the added practice! so now im going to mix it up with rkt and was wondering if there were any other ways to mix it up?
thanks

16 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 17

Sure...use dummies instead of cake. You decorate them just like a real cake only when you are done you can just wash or peel off the covering and then let the dummy air dry. To really mix it up, use one tier of real cake and the rest dummies...that way the family gets SOME cake without having loads of it in the house all the time.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 17

Where can you get dummy cakes cause I'm tired of cake too. Never thought I'd say that. LOL.

catlharper Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 17

You can find them at your local cake supply store or at an online retailer like GSA. I started using them because people want huge cakes but don't have that many people to feed so they WANT a 3 tier cake but only have 50 people attending and don't want a 3 tier that feeds 150 but they still want the look. So I'll use one or two tiers of dummies with the bottom tiers being the real cake for cutting. Doesn't save them much in money but does save the wasted food. Cat

JayyBugg Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #5 of 17

thanks so much! i hope micheals will have them im new to my area and dont know where most things are yet. but great advice!

catlharper Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 17

The Michaels in my area does not have them. I got mine from my local cake supply store but I have seen them online at all of the major cake supply websites.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:10am
post #7 of 17

I ordered my dummies (great prices) at dallas foam dot com. Of course no spaces but will block if I put it on here without the spaces. They were the least expensive that I found online.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 17

You can also donate your practice cakes somewhere...take one to the fire station or to the hospital. I took a cake to the nurses who took care of me after my surgery and you'd be amazed how much they love cake icon_biggrin.gif

I just got a bunch of cake dummies from a styrofoam manufacturer. It was a lot cheaper than buying them locally, even with shipping. I can't post the link or even the name here because it comes up blocked icon_sad.gif but you can find it if you google cake dummies. It has Dallas in the name.

LOL Mamawrobin, maybe we're talking about the same place!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 17

start making tarts and practice or explore different fillings. You can also pipe decorations on top

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 17

Search E-Bay for cake dummies, there is a store on there with great prices.

JayyBugg Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 17

thanks i'll be ordering dummies online i found the website you were talking about. should i buy the normal or rounded tops?

catlharper Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 17

I have a set of the square and a set of the round...all with the normal edges. Glad you were able to find them! Cat

kayliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayliecakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You can also donate your practice cakes somewhere...take one to the fire station or to the hospital. I took a cake to the nurses who took care of me after my surgery and you'd be amazed how much they love cake icon_biggrin.gif
LOL Mamawrobin, maybe we're talking about the same place!

That is a great idea! I always want to make practice cakes, or try out a new idea, but I never have anyone to make them for. I used to always make desserts and cake for my husband's office, but practically the entire lot of them have gone on Weight Watchers, so I can't send them in anymore. icon_rolleyes.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #14 of 17

Decorate cookies! icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #15 of 17

and this is why there are:

co-workers
teachers
public servants (fire, police, rescue squad, EMT)
health professionals (nurses, physical therapists)
homeless shelters
women's shelters
Salvation Army
meals on wheels
soup kitchens
senior citizen centers
nursing homes
any kind of care facility (day care, adult day care, alzheimer's units......)
the people who provide personal services to you (bank tellers, hair stylist, etc.)

(all of whom are future potential clients if you ever start a business....they'll already know your product! -- and hopefully be addicted to it)

(i mention as dummies don't sag from weight, or bulge, or shift -- and practicing with the real deal gives experience in coping with those real world issues)

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and this is why there are:

co-workers
teachers
public servants (fire, police, rescue squad, EMT)
health professionals (nurses, physical therapists)
homeless shelters
women's shelters
Salvation Army
meals on wheels
soup kitchens
senior citizen centers
nursing homes
any kind of care facility (day care, adult day care, alzheimer's units......)
the people who provide personal services to you (bank tellers, hair stylist, etc.)

(all of whom are future potential clients if you ever start a business....they'll already know your product! -- and hopefully be addicted to it)

(i mention as dummies don't sag from weight, or bulge, or shift -- and practicing with the real deal gives experience in coping with those real world issues)

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 17

I totally agree with Doug. You can practice and practice decorating techniques on dummies, but dummies don't help with issues like squatty cakes (the spongyness and softness), cake crumbs, broken cakes. That can only be achieved by working on the real thing...and there are many places, as Doug also pointed out, that would love to recieve cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%