Carrot Cake Turning Green? Please Help!

Decorating By mbark Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 3:07am by mbark

mbark Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

Ok so I made a from-scratch carrot cake on Saturday and also some extra cupcakes. I put them in a tupperware container after they were cooled. They sat on the counter all day yesterday. I get them out today to put some frosting on them (they're freebies for a client ordering carrot cake from me & I wanted to give her a sample) and there are some green spots on them! It doesn't look like mold, it's not "furry" like how mold forms, or white. I broke open one of the cupcakes & noticed all the green areas are on the carrot even through-out the cake.
Is this normal? I really don't think it could have grown mold in 1 1/2 days, but no way do I want to give these to someone to eat if it is. Unfortunately I already told her I was bringing her cupcakes so now if I show up with none that'll be weird.

4 replies
nonilm Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 5

It's a reaction between the baking soda and carrots. Though unappealing, it is perfectly safe to eat. If it is only happening in spots, next time make sure your baking soda is very well dispersed in the batter. If it is happening everywhere check the recipe, you may want to reduce the amount.

mbark Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 5

oh, thank you so much! I was thinking maybe it was something like that. The icing will cover the spots so I think I'm good.
Thanks nonilm!

sweetcakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 5

i feel that sealing any kind of cake in a tupper wear container or cake carrier is like putting it in a green house. You would have been better off having them in a box in the fridge. I dont think iwould serve or eat them, sorry.

mbark Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #5 of 5

I store cupcakes in my tupperware all the time & never have had a problem, but thanks for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%